Audit: Members not marked as married, but should be, and not responsive

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
dhankook

Audit: Members not marked as married, but should be, and not responsive

Post by dhankook »

I am trying to wrap up two audit exceptions, both the same situation:
- The member's record does not indicate he is married, but in fact he is
- The member is not responsive to requests for information about his spouse (in both cases, the member is less active, but other members who know him confirm he is married)

I can't seem to resolve the exception without sufficient detail about the spouse. What should I do? Should I leave the record as it was, indicating he is not married?

Thank you
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Audit: Members not marked as married, but should be, and not responsive

Post by sbradshaw »

What fields are required for recording the marriage? Is it possible to put in minimal information, like "Mrs. [husband's last name]", and leave the marriage date blank?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

You might want to search social media or even the regular newspapers to see the marriage was announced anywhere public.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dhankook

Post by dhankook »

Samuel, it appears I need the maiden name (family + given name) and a marriage date. I can put "UNKNOWN" for the names, but whatever I put in for the marriage date would be a guess likely to be incorrect. My feeling is that, though the date would be incorrect, it would be better than to keep them listed as unmarried. At some future opportunity perhaps we can correct the date and the missing information on the spouse. Until then, at least the leadership can track the marriage status correctly.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Do you need a date, or just a year? I do remember others saying they got what they needed from finding a marriage announcement.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dhankook

Post by dhankook »

russellhltn,

I can't find a marriage announcement (for one of these brethren, the marriage took place more than a decade ago and likely not in Utah) but I believe I have resolved it anyway - turns out LCR issues a warning but will take whatever we give it - a year, if that's all we have, or even no date at all.

A bit of googling and I was able to get spouse names, including the maiden name. If I hadn't been able to find them, I could have kept the names as "unknown."
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

dhankook wrote:If I hadn't been able to find them, I could have kept the names as "unknown."
However, there's a fair possibility that "Unknown" would have made an appearance in the ward directory and on LDS Tools.

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”