Update Causes Everything to be Re-Downloaded *BUG*

Any discussions around the Gospel Library App on various mobile and electronic devices.
johnjacobfarrell

Update Causes Everything to be Re-Downloaded *BUG*

Post by johnjacobfarrell »

I have been using the app for a few years with my calling and I really enjoy it. However, there is a huge bug that needs to be fixed and I have experienced this on multiple android tablets and devices. I download the entire library onto my devices. They all work until certain updates. Not sure why some updates cause this. When the app updates on any of those android devices it causes "ALL" the content pictures to be grayed out like they need to be re-downloaded. Some of the content even though it is grayed out will be accessible but not all. When I go into settings and touch download all it will download everything even though I already have it downloaded onto the device. For example. Right now on my Samsung tablet all the Magazines; Ensign, New Era, Friend and Liahona are all grayed out. I hit download all while in the magazines tab and it tells me I have over 2000 items to download even though last week I had downloaded all of it. If I go to the Music tab all the music buttons are grayed out. I hit download all and it says 3 items will be downloaded. I click Download All and it proceeds to download the Hymns, children's Songbook and Conference Music. This is the same for "ALL" content that I had downloaded previously on all Android devices. I have uninstalled and reinstalled on a few devices a couple of times through the past year to see if that helps and it does not. I have very slow internet and so this has become a burden to have to sit for hours to re download all the content over and over again. Any suggestions or app update to fix this issue would be greatly appreciated!
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Update Causes Everything to be Re-Downloaded *BUG*

Post by sbradshaw »

I think there were some CSS or metadata changes that affected all content.
I'd recommend only downloading the content you use on a regular basis.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
dWhiting56

Post by dWhiting56 »

This happens to me too, on several different Android devices. It's very frustrating to pull out my tablet or phone to read a scripture in class and be locked out for ten minutes. while everything downloads. I really NEVER need my scriptures to updated, for crying out loud -- they haven't changed recently from what I know <g>

Feature request: have a Setting that says "only download when the user says to". That way I can do it when I have a good internet connection and don't need to use GL right away.

Thanks!
JoeCarter5595

Post by JoeCarter5595 »

i agree. there is no need to redownload everything constantly. renders this app useless. please respond to this issue you have been told about more than once.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

JoeCarter5595 wrote:please respond to this issue you have been told about more than once.
This is a user-to-user forum. The developers will not respond here. In fact, they often do not even see this site.

Be sure to send your request through the app Feedback so that it will get to the people who are able to consider any recommended changes.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

dWhiting56 wrote:Feature request: have a Setting that says "only download when the user says to". That way I can do it when I have a good internet connection and don't need to use GL right away.
There's a setting in Gospel Library called "Use Cellular Data for Content Updates" (iOS) or "Limit Mobile Network Use" (Android) that prevents the app from checking for content updates unless you're connected to Wi-Fi. That might help in some situations.
kellymab

Post by kellymab »

Have we figured out why this is happening? I've had this happen ever since the big app update happened a few months ago. I agree it's frustrating to be unable to use the app in class. Because the screen doesn't turn off with the app open on my tablet, I end up killing my battery.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

The recommendation for now is to not download a lot of content that you don't reference frequently. The app is "working as designed" to send content updates to users whenever someone from the content team makes a change and pushes the "publish" button. Sometimes those changes affect a lot of content at once (like CSS or metadata changes). App developers don't have control over the frequency of content updates, which come from another team, but they have raised the issue several times and I'm sure something will eventually change. In the meantime, only items that you have already downloaded will be updated.

Return to “Gospel Library”