Browser-based indexing

Issues related to FamilySearch Indexing
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Browser-based indexing

Post by sbradshaw »

The new browser-based FamilySearch indexing system, which has been hinted at for a few years, is now (finally! :) ) being rolled out in phases. Stake indexing directors and others who are admins in the old indexing system (possibly also ward indexing directors?) received access yesterday. Production data is being used instead of the test data that was being used during the beta period.

More information about web indexing and the rollout can be found on the FamilySearch Blog.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Browser-based indexing

Post by sbradshaw »

Web Indexing is now available for all users:
https://familysearch.org/indexing/my-indexing
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
Frb.Henrik

Post by Frb.Henrik »

How to avoid those that tries to "sabotage"? I mean those that makes lots of faults, so the indexed data is not the same as the handwritten data. In old times when a CD was sent to people, the data was only accepted, if another person made the same "translation"; could we please get such a system again (verification of entered data)?

Nowadays, when using FamilySearch, more and more censuses etc are made searchable/indexed, but sometimes these indexes are filled with errors, so they can not be used. An example: a boy named Axel is indexed as Karl, so Axel won't be found..
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Frb.Henrik wrote:In old times when a CD was sent to people, the data was only accepted, if another person made the same "translation"; could we please get such a system again (verification of entered data)?
The system where two separate people index the same information has not changed with browser-based indexing. Each name is indexed twice, then checked and arbitrated if necessary.
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

lajackson wrote:The system where two separate people index the same information has not changed with browser-based indexing. Each name is indexed twice, then checked and arbitrated if necessary.
Not so. "Review" now consists of a second person reviewing entries of one person. It takes longer as a "reviewer" than it did as an "arbitrator" with the old system, but the total time (instead of 2 people redundantly indexing and a 3rd arbitrating) is reduced.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

mfmohlma wrote:
lajackson wrote:The system where two separate people index the same information has not changed with browser-based indexing. Each name is indexed twice, then checked and arbitrated if necessary.
Not so. "Review" now consists of a second person reviewing entries of one person. It takes longer as a "reviewer" than it did as an "arbitrator" with the old system, but the total time (instead of 2 people redundantly indexing and a 3rd arbitrating) is reduced.
It is my understanding that arbitration still occurs. I read in one of the indexing posts that the "Review" process is meant to make arbitration faster by presenting fewer discrepancies to the arbitrator. Arbitration is the current bottleneck to getting records released and searchable.
Frb.Henrik

Post by Frb.Henrik »

well, thanks for explaining..
on another note: the links to view the original document are often invalid; an example (check the top post):
https://www.familysearch.org/search/rec ... id=2718007
-even if you succed reading the individual images by mini- and maximizing, it does not seem to be the same data as those indexed!
(by the way -one of the reasones I didn't think the indexed data were reviewed before published: Ndletfrl and Sro Ottobe Hgttedag D A Lokabnie are NOT Danish names -not even atypical ones :))
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

I have found it is very often useful to review the actual document rather than just the indexed information. I have found information on my ancestors where the index does not look like it is them, but when I inspect the actual record it is their record.

There are errors in indexing, especially when individuals are indexing in languages that are not native to them. This is why it is so important for indexers to be careful and for participation from those who know other languages. I believe everyone who indexes and arbitrates does so with the best intentions of getting the information correct and accurate. But, we are all mere mortals and are subject to human error. This is the Lord's work and he will direct it even with (or perhaps in spite of) our human frailties.

Return to “FamilySearch Indexing”