The Brown Bar and the Blue Bar

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
lajackson
Community Moderators

The Brown Bar and the Blue Bar

Post by lajackson »

When I start Gospel Library, the Angel Moroni makes his glorious appearance and then two things happen. A brown bar zips across the screen, then changes to a blue bar that zips back and forth for a bit. Then GL moves to the top-level Library page.

What is the significance of the brown and blue bars? Sometimes after the blue bar the brown one comes back for a moment. Sometimes the blue bar goes and goes. Other times the blue bar zips for a shorter time. Perhaps knowing what these two colors mean and what is happening when GL starts would help me know if I have a problem to troubleshoot.

I finally got caught by the blue bar this morning. GL never moved past Moroni, and I finally gave up (after several restart attempts) and uninstalled the app. That means, of course, that I had to install it again, which means the painful process of downloading the database and setting the settings once again.

So what does the brown bar mean and what does the blue bar mean? I could hazard an educated guess about logins and database updates based on what I have observed with the app, but I would rather hear from someone who actually knows. And as far as I know, if you get stuck on the brown or blue bar, there is nothing you can do about it. You can't even get far enough into the app to send feedback.
jasonhyer

Re: The Brown Bar and the Blue Bar

Post by jasonhyer »

In our family we have had trouble with the bars sticking lately and a force close doesn't fix the problem. I could hazard it has something to do with updating the database but really habe no clue.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

The blue bar is applying a content catalog update. On orange, it's checking to see if there's a new catalog, syncing annotations, clearing out old data (like history more than 1000 items back), and downloading updated content if needed.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Thanks. Orange, eh? Yes, I can see it described that way. [smile]
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I had the same problem with the GL Android app on Sunday. I suppose I will have to remove and reinstall the app.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

drepouille wrote:I had the same problem with the GL Android app on Sunday. I suppose I will have to remove and reinstall the app.
What problem are you having? The app is expected to have an orange/brown bar and/or blue bar on the splash screen.

EDIT: Never mind, I just read Jason's reply more carefully. :)
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

sbradshaw wrote:Never mind, I just read Jason's reply more carefully. :)
Which brings up another question. How long should we wait for the blue bar to zip back and forth before giving up. I let it go 10 minutes (twice) before I gave up. And that is longer than I normally let things go that appear to be hung, since I had never seen it take more than about 30 seconds (or maybe a minute) before.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I don't think it should ever take 10 minutes. But it could possibly take longer if you're on a really slow internet connection and there are some books that've been updated... If you're on a good internet connection, there's no reason it should take 10 minutes.

Return to “Android Gospel Library”