contacting the first presidency

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
Desmotti

contacting the first presidency

Post by Desmotti »

Can I email things to share with First Presidency? Why is it so hard to reach them? I am a High Priest. My questions or things that I share are for their eyes only.
Sincerely Spencer Monte Thompson
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: contacting the first presidency

Post by russellhltn »

Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I think the First Presidency would love to meet with members and communicate with them one-on-one, but the reality is that with so many members, they would be flooded if they allowed members to contact them directly. They would not have time to perform their most important responsibilities.

The Church of Jesus Christ is set up with a priesthood line such that each person is connected to the president of the Church. The line goes through the bishop, stake president, and seventies, who receive keys and delegated responsibility from the First Presidency for their areas. If there is a concern that needs to reach the First Presidency, the established method is to send it via the priesthood line.

The same process was established by the Lord in Moses' day:
"And Moses said unto the Lord, Wherefore hast thou afflicted thy servant? and wherefore have I not found favour in thy sight, that thou layest the burden of all this people upon me? ... I am not able to bear all this people alone, because it is too heavy for me. ...

"And the Lord said unto Moses, Gather unto me seventy men of the elders of Israel, whom thou knowest to be the elders of the people, and officers over them; and bring them unto the tabernacle of the congregation, that they may stand there with thee.

"And I will come down and talk with thee there: and I will take of the spirit which is upon thee, and will put it upon them; and they shall bear the burden of the people with thee, that thou bear it not thyself alone."

(Numbers 11:11–17)
Moses had less than 2 million people. The Church today has 15.5 million.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
wclarke1989

Post by wclarke1989 »

in response [. . .], what if its the line that you do not trust and you are needing some direct answers.

if i feel like i cant get answers from the spirit or the my local line, isnt that what the prophet is supposed to be there for.
rosepetal720

Post by rosepetal720 »

wclarke1989 wrote:in response [. . .], what if its the line that you do not trust and you are needing some direct answers.

if i feel like i cant get answers from the spirit or the my local line, isnt that what the prophet is supposed to be there for.
I don't think that's very rational. The church has 15 million members, and everyone has questions. Not only is it impossible to address even a fraction of those people, but it isn't necessary when we have prayer, scriptures, and local leadership to turn to.

Why can't you get answers from the spirit or your local line? Is it a topic we can discuss here to hopefully help you?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rosepetal720 wrote:Why can't you get answers from the spirit or your local line? Is it a topic we can discuss here to hopefully help you?
Please keep in mind that the forum is primarily for technology issues with some assistance in leadership callings. Odds are it would be off-topic for the forum.

Going back to the Handbook referenced above, this is the direction handed down from CHQ to local leaders:
Members of the Church are discouraged from making telephone calls or writing letters to General Authorities about doctrinal issues or personal matters. With an ever-increasing Church membership, responding personally to these inquiries presents an almost insurmountable task and would make it difficult for General Authorities to fulfill the duties for which they alone are responsible. The General Authorities love the members of the Church and do not want them to feel that they are without the support and guidance they need. However, all things need to be done with wisdom and order.

The Lord has organized His Church so every member has access to a bishop or branch president and a stake, district, or mission president who serve as spiritual advisers and temporal counselors. By reason of their callings, these local leaders are entitled to the spirit of discernment and inspiration to enable them to counsel members within their jurisdiction.

Members who need spiritual guidance, have weighty personal problems, or have doctrinal questions should make a diligent effort, including earnest prayer and scripture study, to find solutions and answers themselves. Church members are encouraged to seek guidance from the Holy Ghost to help them in their personal lives and in their family and Church responsibilities.

If members still need help, they should counsel first with their bishop. If necessary, he may refer them to the stake president.

In most cases, correspondence from members to General Authorities will be referred back to their local leaders. Stake presidents who need clarification about doctrinal or other Church matters may write in behalf of their members to the First Presidency.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
blykins

Post by blykins »

I am trying to find out who to contact about my husbands son, Robert Jay Lynch, ref: ooD301booH-5003AJZJSW. He died December 2015, but we cant do his work. There is some confusion as to his status in the church. He was born Robbie J Lykins, and later due to his mother was changed to Robert Jay Lynch. Can you help me?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

blykins wrote:I am trying to find out who to contact about my husbands son, Robert Jay Lynch, ref: ooD301booH-5003AJZJSW. He died December 2015, but we cant do his work. There is some confusion as to his status in the church. He was born Robbie J Lykins, and later due to his mother was changed to Robert Jay Lynch. Can you help me?
Maybe someone at FamilySearch could help – you could try using the Contact Us link under "Get Help" at the top right of FamilySearch.org.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
bsingleton1

Post by bsingleton1 »

Ok so what if it's a heart felt thank you for being the missionary to bring you into the flock? I wouldn't be where I am with the words of the first presidency and would like to thank them.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

bsingleton1 wrote:Ok so what if it's a heart felt thank you for being the missionary to bring you into the flock?
Your bishop or ward clerk would probably give you the address in this case, although you should not expect to receive a response.

Return to “Church Account”