Maraki and Cisco AP integration issues.

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
CleggGP
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: Maraki and Cisco AP integration issues.

Post by CleggGP »

jkentner wrote: It must have been a timing issue. Our Cisco APs now show up in TM and they can be disabled!
The TM enable/disable feature is done through the firewall controller for Cisco APs. After a firewall upgrade it may take a while for the Cisco APs to find a network controller. The message "Not found" flashes in TM for APs that have not found a controller. Pressing the refresh button on the "Access Points" tab will fetch the current AP/controller status. Note that a controller is not listed for Meraki APs (since they are cloud managed). When a Cisco AP is connected to a controller then the TM "Enabled/Disabled" feature works.
jamiep39

Post by jamiep39 »

Is there a plan to re-integrate the ability to see what clients are connected to each AP? Before I could click on the AP and see what clients were connected to it. That was handy for troubleshooting.
Hagothsen

Post by Hagothsen »

At the training sessions for deployment of the Meraki equipment in our area, it was mentioned that by the end of 2018, some 19000 MX64s will be deployed worldwide. Assuming a delivered price of $500 each, we're looking at 9.5 million dollars worth of widows mites. Further assuming that to replace every single Cisco WAP would require no less than 50000 MR33s, likely much more, and now we're talking another 22.5 million at $450 a piece. We're at 32 million, assuming all of this equipment is installed by STSs or other "volunteers". I can confirm that this isn't happening because I've installed 12 of each so far as part of my job.

Why? So saints can check their social media feeds? I guess sports scores might be of interest as well. Don't tell me we need high-speed WiFi to view scriptures or hymn lyrics. I'm tired of telling people they need to download the videos they want to fill the gaps in their lesson plans before they come to the building. I only get concerned when people try to teach modern family history tools. Even then, I suspect the problem lies in church servers getting pounded on Sundays. A few years ago, I was floored when I learned our FM Group bumped the internet speed at a seminary building in my stake, to 4 times what we had at the Stake Center. The seminary building has spectacular cellular coverage, but do we had to throw dollars at faster internet speeds for a building with a whopping TWO wireless access points, one behind a powerline adapter? The vast majority of church WiFi connected devices HAVE CELLULAR DATA already! Again, I ask, WHY?

I for one am grateful for firewalls with gigabit ports. With them, I'll get rock-solid inbound HD broadcast feeds, super strong outbound Stake Conference broadcasts, and the opportunity to provide at least one dedicated spot in my buildings for truly good Wifi. Admittedly, my old CIsco881w was able to do some of that. But Cisco has these inconvenient "end of life" policies. I see no wisdom in heavily investing in soon to be retired 881s, 702s, and 1041s. If I've got to sacrifice seamless mediocre WiFi to get better-focused performance, I'll take it!

I think the deployment of MX64s and MR33s is necessary and about as good as it can get without unlimited funds.
kreeve

Post by kreeve »

I am having wireless issues in a building. Getting complaints. I have been watching this for 2 years, so I know the typical expectations and usage etc.

Background: 7 CISCO 700 series APs.

Internet provider: Comcast

speedtest from wired clerks computer: 75+ Mbps sometimes I get up to 130 Mbps.
wireless no matter where I am in the building: <15 Mbps.
Latest test was with <20 people in the building and scattered throughout.
Last week several people were thrown off the wireless, or could not connect back, that happened to me.

This is a problem that started three weeks ago. I have power cycled all the routers and devices, and nothing has changed.

Using my macbook pro it showed the wireless tx Rate of 75Mbps connected on the 5GHz radio.

Using Technology manager I can not bring up connected devices, or bandwidth usage statistics anymore.
I am at a loss on how to troubleshoot this farther.

Any ideas appreciated.

Kevin
Logan, UT YSA 4th Stake
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

kreeve wrote:This is a problem that started three weeks ago.
That may have been when the firewall was changed out.

kreeve wrote:Using Technology manager I can not bring up connected devices, or bandwidth usage statistics anymore.
Currently, there are no usage statistics with the new Maraki firewall, but you should be able to get a list of connected devices. What is the firewall's status listing in TM? It should be a green check mark.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Hagothsen

Post by Hagothsen »

I think there's some Meraki magic making speed tests useless. From the same iPad, connected to the same MR33 (we only have one in our building), I've measured speed through Ookla ranging from 32 Mbps sitting next to the MR33 in the attic, 53 Mbps in the Relief Society room just below, and 98 Mbps in a room 30 feet away with lots of water pipes, commercial HVAC equipment and powerlines in between. The fastest test was measured last.

Nothing makes sense.
oscope1

Post by oscope1 »

I use a program called Wifi Analyzer it only runs on Android. I only have 2 meraki APs one is the only one in the building the other is mixed with some 1041 APs I did notice that the Meraki was at least 20 DB stronger than the 1041 at the same distance. The Wifi Analzer program helped me prove that I building had taken a lightning hit and it fried the APs. The APs still showed up in TM but had no RF out.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”