Unable to install MLS 3.8.6

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
jward22

Unable to install MLS 3.8.6

Post by jward22 »

I cannot update to MLS 3.8.6
I get an error stating that the program is blocked by a group policy.
The profile i am using appears to have full access as an administrator.
bfromm

Re: MLS 3.8.6 Release Notes

Post by bfromm »

Are you trying to update via the patch sent after a send/receive or by using the full installer you download from
Help Center?
Last edited by bfromm on Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jward22 wrote:I cannot update to MLS 3.8.6
I get an error stating that the program is blocked by a group policy.
I'd do a full virus scan. Malware can sometime block installs.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jward22

Post by jward22 »

bfromm wrote:Are you trying to update via the patch sent after a send/receive or by using the full installer you download from
Help Center?
I am using the installer from the web site. This is the site that launches when i follow the link embedded in the urgent task.
bfromm

Re: Unable to install MLS 3.8.6

Post by bfromm »

Will you verify that the downloaded file is complete? It should be 117MB (122,697,610 bytes).

You mention that the installer is being blocked by a group policy which sounds like a Windows security issue. Most but not all of the Windows 7 computers in your stake have not installed the update yet. Did somebody set security policies on those machines? We have thousands of machines that have updated using the installer, and none of them are getting a message about a group policy. Your next best step is to contact the GSC for help. They should be able to help verify that the right policies are in place.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

bfromm wrote:Most but not all of the Windows 7 computers in your stake have not installed the update yet. Did somebody set security policies on those machines?
I'd suggest contacting the STS and informing him of the situation. If anyone set it on multiple machines, it would have been him.

Something to check - make sure you're logged in with a Windows account that has local admin rights to that computer. The policy in the past has been that all MLS users must have Windows admin rights, but some STS and clerks have gone on their own and have everyone using a more limited account. (The release notes have indicated that's no longer required, but I've never seen a new procedure, so I'm unclear as to how updates are handled.) The limited user rights could easily prevent the needed changes from installing.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jward22

Post by jward22 »

Our Ward Technologist had to request a new Admin Password, he is attempting a backup of the machine before approving the changes. We will see if this works. No idea why most machines in our Stake are not updated.
esoleonuokoh2

Post by esoleonuokoh2 »

please i need help, i am trying to download MLS 3.8.6 i do not know how to go about it.
bfromm

Post by bfromm »

esoleonuokoh2 wrote:please i need help, i am trying to download MLS 3.8.6 i do not know how to go about it.
https://www.lds.org/help/support/mls-download?lang=eng

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”