Meetinghouse Video Projector

Discussions around the satellite system and video distribution.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Meetinghouse Video Projector

Post by lajackson »

How to I get the satellite composite video into the video projector for satellite broadcasts?

The FM group has graciously provided a video projector for our meetinghouse. We had heard this might be coming to all satellite equipped meetinghouses. For us, at least, the rumor was true.

How do we hook it up? It is a Sony VPL-EX50. My two options are to input video from a computer or to input video using an RCA cable (the red/white audio and yellow cable jacks).

For satellite broadcasts (which is why we were given it), we have a coax combined signal. The only way I can see to get this to the projector is to run it through a VCR, tuned to the satellite channel, and output video from the VCR to the projector through the yellow RCA cable.

We no longer have any VCRs. We have DVD players. Trouble is, the DVD players do not have tuneable input. So we can play DVDs through the projector, but still cannot get the satellite video through the DVD to the projector.

So, is the stake going to have to buy a tuner for about $100 each? Will the coax output work in the RCA input on the projector, if we can get the right kind of cable connections?

Suggestions? Surely someone has already done this.

I am channeling this question back through the FM group. But I expect I will find the answer here and channel it back, as well, before I hear anything from them.

We watched the CES broadcast on the TV. The Relief Society General Meeting and General Conference are coming up. We hope to have the new technology in place by then.

Thanks.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote:How to I get the satellite composite video into the video projector for satellite broadcasts?
So, is the stake going to have to buy a tuner for about $100 each? Will the coax output work in the RCA input on the projector, if we can get the right kind of cable connections?
To connect the coax to the RCA input on the projector requires more than just a connector -- you do need some kind of tuner.

We still have VCRs in our stake, so I just use the VCR as my tuner. In many cases, someone wants the broadcast recorded, so I need a VCR in that case, anyway. We haven't made the switch to a DVD recorder yet.

But you can still buy VCRs with a tuner for under $40 (although they're getting rarer with the upcoming transition to digital broadcasting in the US), so that would be cheaper than a $100 tuner. I've also seen standalone tuners for under $40, so I'd do some shopping before paying $100 if that ends up being your choice.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Using a VCR as a tuner will work.

In our stake center they also ran a RCA connector to the stand that carries baseband video. We run a long cable from that connector directly into the projector video in.

We also have those "F" connector jacks, but those are for "antenna in" on TVs or VCRs.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
The_Earl

Post by The_Earl »

lajackson wrote:How to I get the satellite composite video into the video projector for satellite broadcasts?

The FM group has graciously provided a video projector for our meetinghouse. We had heard this might be coming to all satellite equipped meetinghouses. For us, at least, the rumor was true.

How do we hook it up? It is a Sony VPL-EX50. My two options are to input video from a computer or to input video using an RCA cable (the red/white audio and yellow cable jacks).

For satellite broadcasts (which is why we were given it), we have a coax combined signal. The only way I can see to get this to the projector is to run it through a VCR, tuned to the satellite channel, and output video from the VCR to the projector through the yellow RCA cable.

We no longer have any VCRs. We have DVD players. Trouble is, the DVD players do not have tuneable input. So we can play DVDs through the projector, but still cannot get the satellite video through the DVD to the projector.

Suggestions? Surely someone has already done this.

I am channeling this question back through the FM group. But I expect I will find the answer here and channel it back, as well, before I hear anything from them.

We watched the CES broadcast on the TV. The Relief Society General Meeting and General Conference are coming up. We hope to have the new technology in place by then.

Thanks.
Often the satellite tuner has a composite video out. You will not want to run this a long distance, but if your satellite tuner is close to where you would put the projector, it might work. I think S-Video (round mini-DIN connector) works for longer distances, but that is less likely to be available on both ends.

You can probably find a cheap VCR, or get one donated for less than the $100 tuner. Even cheaper since broadcast tuners won't work anymore after Feb'09.

Thanks
The Earl
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

RussellHltn wrote:n our stake center they also ran a RCA connector to the stand that carries baseband video.
That would work. And perhaps they were actually thinking ahead with that move. I will have to look around for that.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:I will have to look around for that.
It's probably located right next to the jack for audio recording.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Satellite”