Getting DSL on church paid phone lines?

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
ldsrussp

Getting DSL on church paid phone lines?

Post by ldsrussp »

I have run into a difficult issue regarding internet installation at our buildings in the Stake. All of the buildings have clerk phone lines (of course) and all are reportedly available for DSL (ie: physically it's posisble). However, all the phone lines are now no longer serviced by AT&T but by whoever the Church is now using. This happened when the Church switched phone lines from a local charge to a global aggregate. The problem with this is that none of the DSL providers now are able to attach to these lines unless it's a local provider such as AT&T who services the line. It's not just AT&T saying this, it's Speakeasy as well (the most helpful so far). The only solution would be to install new lines for the DSL (ugly, expensive solution). Has anyone else run into this? If so, what did you do?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'm not sure what you are facing, but from the Meetinghouse Internet Guidelines:
A new dedicated line must be ordered for the Internet connection (if ordering digital
subscriber line, or DSL). Existing telephone lines cannot be shared, modified, or
canceled in order to provide an Internet connection. The invoice for the new line
should be separate from the invoices for the existing telephone lines.
Are you saying that ALL the wire pairs into the building are managed such that you can't get "dry" DSL?

FYI, in my area the phone company wanted to charge commerical rates but the cable company was willing to charge residential. That came out to a $25/month savings to go to cable. Your mileage may vary, but the residential vs commercial rate issue is something to be aware of.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
pricer

DSL Lines

Post by pricer »

In our area (Harrisviille, Utah in North Ogden)the Church uses McCloud for phone service, in our meeting house (20 years old) has a large cable coming in which supports probably 20 phone lines of which only 3 are used. Qwest connected a seperate DSL line and assigned a phone number for the accounting. This line run into the DSL modem and from the modem to the Cisco firewall. Qwest charges the church a business rate of $40.00 + 13.00 for ISP. You can use other ISP providers, but they still have to charge the business rate for DSL for Qwest, but the residental rate for ISP. There was no installation charge for the DSL since the phone lines are already in place.
ldsrussp

Post by ldsrussp »

pricer wrote:In our area (Harrisviille, Utah in North Ogden)the Church uses McCloud for phone service, in our meeting house (20 years old) has a large cable coming in which supports probably 20 phone lines of which only 3 are used. Qwest connected a seperate DSL line and assigned a phone number for the accounting. This line run into the DSL modem and from the modem to the Cisco firewall. Qwest charges the church a business rate of $40.00 + 13.00 for ISP. You can use other ISP providers, but they still have to charge the business rate for DSL for Qwest, but the residental rate for ISP. There was no installation charge for the DSL since the phone lines are already in place.
Hmm.... Must be some sort of law in Georgia that prevents them as they said they can't attach to any line which is NOT managed by a local provider. I did just receive an encouraging email that leads me to believe that possibly Xilec is who is servicing our lines here. If so, they seem to offer Internet so possibly I can get them to give us DSL.

Yes, the residential versus commericial rate issue is something I've already run into. I have the goal of transitioning the 3 buildings that have FHC centers in them over to something other than the overpriced $79 1.5 Mbps DSL AT&T is currently charging us. I'm hoping to aggregate all 6 buildings and get a much lower rate per building. Cable is one option I'm considering, I just hate the thought of getting cable buried and installed.
dtaylor26-p40

Relia.net worked for us

Post by dtaylor26-p40 »

We ran into the same problem (Ogden area), but a local ISP, owned by a brother of one of our branch presidents, worked it out so that we could get DSL delivered and still retrain use of McCloud for phone service. This was coordinated by our Stake Executive Secretary, so I don't know the details, but apparently it can be done, if the right parties can be found.

As for Georgia, I would be really surprised if there were state laws on TCP/IP delivery which trumped federal limitations. If that's true, then you and I would be under the same legal requirements, and it would apparently be a matter of first converting the owner of a local ISP and then asking if they can work out the connectivity. I say that as a joke, but weirder things have been know to happen.

Yours in networking.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

It sounds like CHQ wants all DSL connections to be "dry-loop DSL" probably so that they can switch local/long distance service providers as needed without having to worry about being tied down by 1-2 year contracts and such.

It seems that AT&T offers a business equivalent (AT&T High Speed Internet Basic) to this residential service (DSL Direct Basic). Apparently Verizon and Qwest may not currently be as competitive, as least for business DSL services.
iswcky

AT&T DSL in San Diego

Post by iswcky »

FYI. We are in San Diego trying to get dry loop DSL. AT&T's website does not list all of the options in one place and the customer service agents are not aware of all of the business Internet offerings. After spending a couple of hours online and on the phone with AT&T this morning we were finally able to get dry loop DSL (AT&T High Speed Internet Direct Basic) for $19.95 on a 12-month contract and a rebate for the DSL modem ($49.95). The $19.95/month is currently supposed to last through June 2010.
rickdez

Seperately billed phone line issue

Post by rickdez »

In our area we can add basic DSL to the existing clerk's line for $21.99 per month with no additional fees or taxes on only a one year commitment. However, if we have to have our own seperate bill (per internet usage policy) we must order another seperate line at the basic rate plus taxes, which makes the total cost close to $50 per month. Does anyone know of any options that would be less expensive?. With move-outs decreasing attendance due to cost of living in our area, our stake and ward budgets cant sustain the high monthly additional cost for internet. Now that new.familysearch.org is up and running we have computers in our ward family history classroom that are using the bishop cellphone wireless to do their classes on Sunday.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

moroni7 wrote:In our area we can add basic DSL to the existing clerk's line for $21.99 per month with no additional fees or taxes on only a one year commitment. However, if we have to have our own seperate bill (per internet usage policy) we must order another seperate line at the basic rate plus taxes, which makes the total cost close to $50 per month. Does anyone know of any options that would be less expensive?. With move-outs decreasing attendance due to cost of living in our area, our stake and ward budgets cant sustain the high monthly additional cost for internet. Now that new.familysearch.org is up and running we have computers in our ward family history classroom that are using the bishop cellphone wireless to do their classes on Sunday.
Did you specifically ask about Dry Loop DSL (sometimes simply "Dry DSL" or "Standalone DSL")? Usually that option is quite a bit cheaper, as you're not paying for a dial tone and the other things that often come with a phone line, but are not required for DSL.

I know when I first contacted my phone company about DSL, they just quoted me the price for a regular phone line. Fortunately, I was working with Xilec on this order, and they let me know about the dry DSL option, which ended up being much cheaper.
rickdez

Post by rickdez »

Well, I was told by the local AT&T rep that the only way I could get a seperate bill is to order a new phone line that would not be part of the group that is paid for by the church and then add dsl to that. I guess even if we pulled one line out of the group that is paid by SLC, it would still total nearly $50 after adding the DSL to the line. I will try calling again and hope I get someone else who may have another alternative.
Thanks for the tip

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”