Unrecorded baptism

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
mburbidg

Unrecorded baptism

Post by mburbidg »

A less active mother and her 13 year old son moved into our ward from another ward in our stake. The boy is 13 years old. The mother claims the boy was baptized. But we have no record either of the boy or the baptism. We've obtained statements from the witnesses, still in our stake that the boy was indeed baptized and even have some pictures (not of the actual baptism) with dates on them showing him in baptism clothes.

What is the approval process for getting this baptism recorded?

He's now 13, so would this have to be recorded by the mission?

Thanks,
Michael-
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Unrecorded baptism

Post by russellhltn »

Check Handbook 1: 16.1.10 to see if all the conditions have been met. If everything has been done, I would contact CHQ for instructions on how to record it. They may opt to do it from their end.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

russellhltn wrote:Check Handbook 1: 16.1.10 to see if all the conditions have been met. If everything has been done, I would contact CHQ for instructions on how to record it. They may opt to do it from their end.
If all the condition are met, I would try to record it in LCR before doing anything else. Previously in MLS you could record an 8 year old baptism even if was years later. I'm pretty sure you could also record a baptism for an older person if the baptism wasn't recent (although it would warning you that the mission is supposed to record it). I'm not sure of the rules that LCR follows but I'd try it first. If it doesn't allow you to enter it then I'd call Local Unit Support.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

eblood66 wrote:If all the condition are met, I would try to record it in LCR before doing anything else.
That's true. I was thinking that LCR would look at the birthdate and not allow it, but if it looks at the birthdate and the baptismal date, it might allow it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Membership Help”