Recent update to scripture pages

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Recent update to scripture pages

Post by sbradshaw »

In case anyone is interested – the scriptures section of LDS.org was recently updated (compare current and previous). Here's what I've noticed so far:
  • You can now make highlights and annotations in chapter headings and in other languages besides English (I think this means that content is now being pulled from the same source as Gospel Library 4). This is exciting news for people who study in other languages especially!
  • Links now point to the newer male and female audio recordings that are being used in Gospel Library 4.
  • Buttons on the scripture chapter pages are at top (Listen, Download, Print, and Share) instead of on the side.
  • The breadcrumb/context bar that shows which chapter you're in as you scroll now goes across the entire width of the page.
  • URLs for linking to a scripture follow the new format introduced in Gospel Library 4. To jump to a specific verse, you need to specify #p7 instead of just #7. Highlighted verses can be specified as parameters instead of with a period (/1-ne/3?verse=4-5 instead of /1-ne/3.4-5).
Unfortunately, I'm still seeing two bugs that were present in the old version:
  • Highlights are sometimes being mapped to the wrong words compared to Gospel Library (highlight "therefore" in 1 Nephi 1:1 in Gospel Library, and "taught" shows as highlighted on LDS.org).
  • The context bar still hides whatever verse you jump to, so the URL has to specify jumping to the previous verse.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
mevans

Re: Recent update to scripture pages

Post by mevans »

sbradshaw wrote:
  • The context bar still hides whatever verse you jump to, so the URL has to specify jumping to the previous verse.
Actually, what I'm noticing is that it's no longer jumping at all to the selected verse--it just stays at the top of the page and I have to manually scroll. I haven't examined the HTML to see if something messed up with the anchors...just noticed it's not working.
mevans

Post by mevans »

sbradshaw wrote:
  • URLs for linking to a scripture follow the new format introduced in Gospel Library 4. To jump to a specific verse, you need to specify #p7 instead of just #7. Highlighted verses can be specified as parameters instead of with a period (/1-ne/3?verse=4-5 instead of /1-ne/3.4-5).
mevans wrote:
sbradshaw wrote:
Actually, what I'm noticing is that it's no longer jumping at all to the selected verse--it just stays at the top of the page and I have to manually scroll. I haven't examined the HTML to see if something messed up with the anchors...just noticed it's not working.

At least in the online content, I think the problem is that the links to the content haven't been updated with a "p". For example, I was looking at a lesson on the Gordon B. Hinckley manual that linked to John 14:15. The format of the link is this: https://www.lds.org/scriptures/nt/john/ ... ang=eng#14, but according to sbradshaw, it should be https://www.lds.org/scriptures/nt/john/ ... ng=eng#p14 (or it could even change further to use the new verse parameter outlined in sbradshaw's original post).

I wonder when they'll get all the content updated with the new format?
whitebeard

Post by whitebeard »

Hello, I'll be the Lorax and speak for the trees... or at least I'll speak for the hundreds of thousands of web developers out there. There are I think millions of web pages that carry links to the lds scriptures. For instance, http://woodybrison.com/truth1.htm which has a link to Doctrine and Covenants 93:24, and the source code has "http://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testam ... ang=eng#23". I understand that time flows forward and progress happens... but is there going to be funding made available for all the Mormons with web pages, to go thru and change every now-obsolete link ?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

That link still works for me:
http://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testam ... ang=eng#23
I think the old link format will still be supported for some time.

EDIT: It highlights the correct verse still, but jumping down to the correct verse seems to be off and on. I would submit it as a bug using the Feedback link at the bottom of LDS.org.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

whitebeard wrote: but is there going to be funding made available for all the Mormons with web pages, to go thru and change every now-obsolete link ?
I can't say as I've ever heard of anyone with any page doing that, much less the church.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
whitebeard

Post by whitebeard »

When we build web pages, we have to realize who our target audience is: people in techno land with the latest? The guy in Ghana's using an old computer from 1998 on a dialup. It's important to test new stuff with every machine and every browser and every OS and every screen size we can lay our hands on.

I tried to use the feedback function at the bottom of the LDS scriptures pages, but that too didn't work.

I sent a letter to the church in SLC and nothing happened, even after considerable time.

Thruout lds.org there are many, many thousands of links to the scriptures, in the old style, for instance in the the footnotes of conference talks.

Would it be easier to make the WHOLE WORLD, including your own voluminous organization, change to the new style or just stick with the old style, which worked? Why the change?
Last edited by russellhltn on Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merge multiple posts
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I've combined your last three posts into a single post. Please keep in mind that this is a community forum. Most of the assistance is from other members like yourself. The few developers that do visit are not the ones who make those kinds of decisions. As such, the forum isn't a viable place for advocacy for change.

I'm sure there's a reason for the change. It's not something develops do for kicks and giggles. It may be something like changing technology, server load, language support, etc.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
whitebeard

Post by whitebeard »

OK, so how do I contact those persons who do make these decisions or implement them?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The feedback link on the mail lds.org pages is the only way I'm aware of.

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”