LDS Tools data download problem

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Member Tools Application.
gbrooksby

LDS Tools data download problem

Post by gbrooksby »

We are having an issue where the latest version of LDS Tools will not download data.

Conditions:
Hardware: iPhone 5, 16GB, 2.5GB Free
iOS: 10.2.1
LDS Tools: v3.2.0

The app installs. When the user logs in, the download starts, then abruptly stops with no error messages and no data downloaded.
Any ideas on how this can be fixed?
We've tried re-installing the app and also re-booting the iPhone.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: LDS Tools data download problem

Post by russellhltn »

Another post indicates that you have to log out of iCloud before re-installing. Otherwise, you get set the same corrupted install. You can log back into iCloud after you've gotten Tools up and running.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
gbrooksby

Post by gbrooksby »

Turning iCloud off and re-installing did not help. The result was the same. I was able to get things working by the following:

1) Delete the app on the phone.
2) Open iTunes and delete the app in iTunes, sending its files to the trash.
3) Re-download the app in iTunes.
4) Sync the app to the phone.

This was all done with WiFi turned off and iCloud turned off. When all was complete I re-enabled iCloud.

One way I can see this happening is if the internal data model in the app changed with this version. Then, when the new app is installed, but before data is synced from church servers, iCloud restores the old app data. But the old data now contains an incompatible data model, and when the sync with church servers happens it tries to write to an incompatible database or table. If the first DB access is gracefully handled within the code, the download may just abort rather than crashing the app, as I've seen with other apps.
eldalealacy

Post by eldalealacy »

I've been searching and searching the web for an answer to my syncing issue. I found several possible solutions but none worked for me. I get the message that syncing may take several minutes, and that's it. It never syncs and I can never get beyond that point and access LDS Tools data.

Remove/reinstall
Clean out iCloud/iTunes
Safari settings

Would love to hear of other avenues
gbrooksby

Post by gbrooksby »

My solution above worked, but the app was updated again over WiFi and the problem came back. Whatever problem exists in the app is still a problem.

I only see this problem on my wife's iPhone 5, but not on my 5S. I'm curious to know what device you're using.
eldalealacy

Post by eldalealacy »

iPhone 6s. Husband has same model and LDS Tools works just fine on his.
gbrooksby

Post by gbrooksby »

Since my wife's iPhone 5 was having problems again since the update, I did the following just now:
1) Delete the app from the phone.
2) Delete the app from iTunes library.
3) Download the app anew from the iTunes store.
4) Install the app on the phone using iTunes.

The app is now working.

My advice would be, if the app is working and synch-ing, don't update the app unless you absolutely have to. It will probably break again.
eldalealacy

Post by eldalealacy »

Eureka. Hubby did as suggested and I'm a happy camper again. Thanks.
mhicken

Post by mhicken »

gbrooksby's solution worked for me too! I am very surprised that it did - but yay! :D
SharlaCarbine

Post by SharlaCarbine »

I am having this same issue, but I can't figure out how to delete the app from iTunes....it doesn't show as one of the apps on my phone? Does someone have step by step instructions that would help me do this on my iphone6? I use this app a lot and it's been blank for about a week now.

Return to “iPhone/iPad Member Tools App”