Where to place non ordained adult members

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
Biggles

Where to place non ordained adult members

Post by Biggles »

In our branch we have several non ordained members. Sometime in the past they were put in the High Priest's organisation. I have now moved them temporarily, in MLS, to the Priests organisation.
The problem came to light, when I queried the presence of a member, who I know does not hold the office of High Priest, with the Branch President, in the Members Attendence List generated by MLS. He agreed that this was incorrect and asked me to remedy the situation. This was when I discovered all the non ordained members were in the wrong organisation.

My questions are:

1. Have I placed the non ordained members concerned, in the right organisation?

2. Is it possible to create a catagory, for non ordained members, in MLS, that would appear as a seperate list in the Members Attendence List printouts?

The members ages concerned range from 23 to 80 years.

Any advice greatfully appreciated.
opee

Post by opee »

The High Priests are responsible for the prospective elders in a unit. (This is based on a letter from the First Presidency dated 03 Nov 2004). That is why the unordained males are showing up in the High Priest Quorum in MLS. If the men can be served better by the Elders Quorum, then they can be assigned to that group.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

opee wrote:The High Priests are responsible for the prospective elders in a unit. (This is based on a letter from the First Presidency dated 03 Nov 2004). That is why the unordained males are showing up in the High Priest Quorum in MLS. If the men can be served better by the Elders Quorum, then they can be assigned to that group.
Yes, MLS automatically assigns prospective Elders to the HP group, based on Church policies. However, as mentioned by opee, your Bishop has the right and authority to decide which organization would best serve the individual. This becomes especially important for your situation where the prospective Elders range in age from 23 to 80 years old.

This is similar to my ward's situation. However, our HP group is relatively small and we have two humongous Elders' Quorums. We have assigned many of our prospective Elders (who are mostly young) to one of the Elders' Quorums.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

Biggles wrote:1. Have I placed the non ordained members concerned, in the right organisation?

2. Is it possible to create a catagory, for non ordained members, in MLS, that would appear as a seperate list in the Members Attendence List printouts?

The members ages concerned range from 23 to 80 years.
1. All males age 18 and older are automatically assigned to the High Priests Group by MLS unless they hold the office of elder. All males age 18 and older are considered either prospective elders, elders, or high priests, depending on their current priesthood office. All prospective elders are the default stewardship of the High Priest Group with exceptions made by the bishop/branch president on a case by case basis.

2. Change the List type to print: drop-down box from Attendance Roll to Standard (or whatever the localized equivalents are if you are using MLS in a language other than English). The Standard list will show the current priesthood office so that you can see who in the high priest group is a high priest, who is a deacon, who is unordained, etc.

Alternatively, if you navigate from the menu bar to Organizations > High Priests, and then click the Print or Preview button at the bottom, the resulting list will also show current priesthood office for the members of that group.

Additionally, from the menu bar you can navigate to Membership > Unit Statistics > click the Melchizedek Priesthood Holders link > then click the Priesthood column heading to sort the list by priesthood office.

Return to “Membership Help”