Members with Financial Guardians

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
ARTEST4ECHO

Members with Financial Guardians

Post by ARTEST4ECHO »

I've spent some time trying to find anything to clarify tithing and those who don't control their own finances. I know that the church intentionally leave what "Income" is vague, but this isn't an unusual situation, so I had hoped something my have been said.

For example, members with Financial Guardians. It is becoming common for nursing homes to require that their residence set things up that all income/retirement payments be made directly to the home, as they are supplying all the needs of the person. The person has income, but no control over it.

These people technically have income, so given the old "Exempt" definition (I know it's not on the Declaration anymore) of "Having no income, but would have paid..." dosn't apply. It's the fact that they don't control their income, so they can't pay their tithing, no matter how much they may want to.

I'm just trying to clarify this type of situation.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Members with Financial Guardians

Post by lajackson »

An answer to your question is beyond the scope of this Forum. You will need to visit with your bishop, stake president, or other priesthood leaders for help in finding an answer to your question.
ARTEST4ECHO

Post by ARTEST4ECHO »

While I normally don't have issues with your suggestion, in my particular case, it won't help, as the Priesthood Leaders involved are not in agreement. I'm trying to walk the line here, Not wanting to get to deep into things.

However as a clerk I was hoping to find at least some guidance somewhere, so I could supply the information to those that need it.

However, I know that we are not commanded in all things, so if that's the case here then so be it.

Thanks.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I've never seen specific instruction. In this case, I'd ask how the member would be able to pay their tithing. If they have absolutely no control of the money coming in, and there's no "account" set up for them to spend as they wish, how would they pay it? For that matter, how do they pay their taxes? I think I'd also consider a comparison with a child whose parent is receiving child support. That would be some of the questions I'd be asking if it was my place to make a determination (and it's not).
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”