Spouse's tree

Discussions about using and improving the new FamilySearch online application.
davesudweeks

Re: Spouse's tree

Post by davesudweeks »

victoria.k.ison wrote:It is especially discouraging to those of us in the younger generation. In order for my husband and I to be able to learn from and research the other's family history, we both have to manually add several people. All of our parents and 5/8 grandparents are living, so it's a bigger task than it seems.
Keep in mind that you don't have to actually add any information to the living persons in your private space. Private space is for "place-holders" so since they are living all you need to do is add the name and gender to create the living-person record (even an incomplete name will do).
jessneb24

Post by jessneb24 »

This isn’t much of a reply but just another question! When my husband is logged into his family tree, he can see his dad and all the ancestors linked to his side, but nothing shows up past his mom on her side. She said they’ve done all the work for her parents and grandparents and so on, but nothing is showing up besides her. How can we fix this?
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

jessneb24 wrote:This isn’t much of a reply but just another question! When my husband is logged into his family tree, he can see his dad and all the ancestors linked to his side, but nothing shows up past his mom on her side. She said they’ve done all the work for her parents and grandparents and so on, but nothing is showing up besides her. How can we fix this?
Please keep in mind that when I enter information about a living person, that information is private to me, and nobody else can see that information. If that person later passes away, and I add death information, that information I entered becomes publicly visible. For example, several years ago, my wife and I had to each/separately enter information about her (living) parents.

If I understand the question correctly, the quicker solution is to add information about each living person in the tree. That's hopefully going to be much quicker than to wait for those people to pass away so that the information someone else entered about them becomes publicly visible.

Did that answer the question well enough?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

In other words, it's probably going to be up to you to link to the first generation of deceased ancestors. Once that's done, the rest of your tree should show up.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jessneb24

Post by jessneb24 »

Not quite! On my family tree is shows both my parents and their parents and so on back hundreds of years even though both my parents are alive. My husbands family tree shows his dad even though his alive and his parents and so on back hundreds of years. His mom’s side only shows his mom and won’t show her parents or any other relative on that side even though they’ve all passed away and had their work down but he can’t see any of that. So why would on mine it let me see my parents (even though they’re alive) and the rest of my ancestors, but his tree will only show his dads side. Does that make better sense?
jessneb24

Post by jessneb24 »

And I should clarify that is when he’s logged in seperately and now when I’m logged in. I know I won’t be able to see his family while logged in my own account. But he should be able to see his mothers side too if he’s able to see his fathers and I can see all my mom and dads ancestors and family
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

jessneb24 wrote:And I should clarify that is when he’s logged in seperately and now when I’m logged in. I know I won’t be able to see his family while logged in my own account. But he should be able to see his mothers side too if he’s able to see his fathers and I can see all my mom and dads ancestors and family
I believe I understand your description. It's fully consistent with what russellhltn and I and the FamilySearch documentation are saying. Any record of a living person/ancestor is in the private space of the patron/user who entered it. Only that patron/user who entered that private-space record can see it. In contrast, records of deceased ancestors are in publicly visible space, and everyone can see those records.

For example, my wife and I see separate versions of her living mother (each version in our own private space). The PID my wife sees for her mother and the PID I see for my wife's mother are different, because they are completely separate records. Nothing that I enter in my private space record of my wife's mother can be seen by anyone else. When my wife and I (with appropriate permission) originally entered information about her father, he was still living, and so my wife and I each had separate versions of my wife's father's information. When my wife's father passed away and my wife and I each entered his death information, those records became publicly visible and the now-duplicate records could be merged into one combined record.

The version your husband sees of your husband's father (and any other living ancestors) is in his private space. Only he can see that record of a living ancestor. Evidently, he entered that information (into his private space) some time back.

The version you see of your parents (and any other living ancestors) is in your private space. Only you can see that record of a living ancestor. Evidently, you entered that information (into your private space) some time back.

In order for you to see your husband's ancestors, you need to enter a version of each of your husband's living ancestors into your private space. Then, link those new records in your private space to your husband's deceased ancestors (who are in publicly visible space). Then, you will be able to see your husband's entire tree.

It sounds like your husband can see only his father's side of his tree but not his mother's side. If that is the case, then he will need to enter information into his private space for each living ancestor and link those records (in his private space) to the deceased ancestors (in publicly visible space). Then, he will be able to see his entire tree.

Did that make a little more sense of the way the tree works?

(Edited: Added a bit more clarification about info evidently entered into private space.)
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

rmrichesjr wrote: Evidently, he entered that information (into his private space) some time back.
That isn't necessarily true. Information on living parents or children can also come from church membership records. But if his mother is not a member then church records wouldn't have full information of her. Likewise if his grand parents were not members church records might not have the correct link to their family search records. Or church records might not have his mother's parent's information correctly recorded even if they are members.

But the easiest solution is still to add the links in his private space. But if his mother and her parents are members he may want to have his mother check with her ward clerk to make sure her record has correct information for her parents.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

eblood66 wrote: That isn't necessarily true. Information on living parents or children can also come from church membership records. ...
While some Family Tree records do come from Church membership records, isn't it only for the user/patron himself/herself and for deceased people that Church membership information is visible in Family Tree? I had understood that other living members' membership record information is not visible in Family Tree.

To test that theory in practice, a very limited statistical sample of two people (other than myself) does not show any information from Church membership records in Family Tree. Both of my parents (both still living) have had Church membership records since well before development of Family Tree began. However, when viewing my parents' person records (which exist in my private space) with full details opened, the only pieces of information visible are those I entered myself. In my own person record, the information shows as having been entered by FamilySearch.

Back to the original questions, when viewing the person record of a living individual, there is a pinkish "Private Person" banner near the top of the page if the record is in private space. That banner can help clarify whether a record is private or publicly visible. Another supporting check is to compare PID strings. If two different users/patrons see the same PID, that means the record is in public space. If the PID strings are different, then they are different records.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

rmrichesjr wrote:However, when viewing my parents' person records (which exist in my private space) with full details opened, the only pieces of information visible are those I entered myself. In my own person record, the information shows as having been entered by FamilySearch.
The information from membership records is very limited. For parents (and grandparents) it consists of only their names, the link to yourself and the link to their parents. For children under 18 it also shows their birth date (but that isn't shown for adult children). But for many members this information will link them to their deceased ancestors without having to enter any information themselves.

Return to “FamilySearch Family Tree Application”