2-step Verification Problem

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
kirsid

2-step Verification Problem

Post by kirsid »

I set up 2-step verification through an authenticator app, but my phone had to be factory reset. I can't change account settings, and I can't set up the authenticator app without access. What can I do?
kirsid

Re: 2-step Verification Problem

Post by kirsid »

For anyone else looking for an answer, I just called the Global Service Center and had them reset it.
law.bradford

Post by law.bradford »

I just had to do the same. It would be great if they made a way to reset it via text.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Making it too easy to reset would defeat the purpose of having 2-step verification. Anyone could reset your account if they wanted to get in.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

sbradshaw wrote:Making it too easy to reset would defeat the purpose of having 2-step verification. Anyone could reset your account if they wanted to get in.
A reset using password and code sent to a registered cell phone number should be secure. It's just another 2-step verification method. Anyone trying to reset would have to both figure out the password and have access to the registered phone.

I expect it's just a matter of insufficient programming resources to implement.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

If you have more than one 2-step verification method set up in your LDS Account settings, you can choose which one you want to use as you're logging in. I'd recommend setting up a backup method (like text).
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

eblood66 wrote:Anyone trying to reset would have to both figure out the password and have access to the registered phone.
Two-factor authentication via SMS is not considered secure. It's not just hypothetical, it's happened. Just search for "two factor authentication via SMS not secure"
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Church Account”