unable to access my reset email

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
azugeorge

unable to access my reset email

Post by azugeorge »

i forgot my password and unable to retrieve my password because i cannot permanently access my email address that it was sent to.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: unable to access my reset email

Post by lajackson »

azugeorge wrote:i forgot my password and unable to retrieve my password because i cannot permanently access my email address that it was sent to.
If you use the "Forgot user name?" link, you should be able to recover your account using your membership record number and date of birth, and you will also be able to reset your password.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

lajackson wrote:
azugeorge wrote:i forgot my password and unable to retrieve my password because i cannot permanently access my email address that it was sent to.
If you use the "Forgot user name?" link, you should be able to recover your account using your membership record number and date of birth, and you will also be able to reset your password.
Unfortunately there is only one option for resetting the password that I have found recently. That option is to use the registered email address.

Since we have had a number of posts throughout the Forum regarding recovering account usernames and passwords I decided to test the recovery procedures and see if anything had changed since my last test attempt a couple of years ago. In my testing only one option, to use my registered email address, was provided for the password recovery. The username recovery still had the three options of "Mobile Phone", "Email", and "Membership Record Number (MRN)".

I checked my account and the only option available that would possibly affect a password recovery was "Recovery & Communications Options" in the Security Settings pane with the checkbox for "Allow my Membership Record Number (MRN) to be used as a recovery option." Since that box was checked for my profile I unchecked it and tested again. The only change that occurred was for the username recovery. The recovery for the password still only had one option through email. I went back to my account and rechecked the box and tested again. There was no change for password recovery.

Unless I am missing something, it appears the only two ways to reset a password is to either use the email method or contact LDS Account support.

I looked in LDS Account Help to see what instructions were provided there. The instructions imply there are multiple options to reset a password. The instructions state: "Select a recovery option available to your account. If no option is available, contact support for additional assistance." Clicking the link opens the page with instructions to come to these forums for help. I find that ludicrous since nobody here has the ability to make changes to another person's LDS Account. The only hope is to click the link Additional Support Options and check the box for "I have reviewed the LDS Account Support page and did not find an answer to my question." to fill out a support request form and wait for 3 to 5 business days, as the form states, to get a response from support.

Anyone else have a different experience?
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:Anyone else have a different experience?
I opened up a window in another browser and went to ldsaccount.lds.org sign in screen. I clicked "forgot your password", and supplied the username. I was presented with 3 options: SMS to my phone, email to my email and MRN & Birthdate.

So, I'm seeing three options.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Maybe only certain options are available based on calling?

In any case, if your LDS Account is connected to your membership record, you can have a clerk in your ward change your email address on your membership record, then you can recover your LDS Account by email.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sbradshaw wrote:Maybe only certain options are available based on calling?
I think that's a good guess. I'd be curious if clearing the checkbox for using the MRN "took".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

russellhltn wrote:
jdlessley wrote:Anyone else have a different experience?
I opened up a window in another browser and went to ldsaccount.lds.org sign in screen. I clicked "forgot your password", and supplied the username. I was presented with 3 options: SMS to my phone, email to my email and MRN & Birthdate.

So, I'm seeing three options.
I did the same thing about using another browser. I even signed out of the open session in all browsers just to be certain. I got the same result - only one option to use the registered email address.

But there is hope even if you only have the one option. The ward clerk, or any member of the bishopric can edit email addresses in either the LDS.org Directory, Leader and Clerk Resources (LCR), or in LDS tools. This change will propagate to your LDS Account. I don't know how long it will take precisely, but it will happen at least within the next 24 hours. My tests show it taking a few seconds. But then I was changing my own email address through LCR.

Once there is a valid email address registered in the LDS Account the instructions for the reset for the password will be available through the updated email address.

PS - I just checked again and I still only have one option to reset my password. I suspect others are finding the same issue of only having one option. I have no idea what may be leaving me and others with this single option. If anyone has any ideas, it may be helpful for others encountering this lack of a MRN recovery option.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:PS - I just checked again and I still only have one option to reset my password. I suspect others are finding the same issue of only having one option. I have no idea what may be leaving me and others with this single option.
If I'm reading the CDOL correctly, you have a calling that gives your account full access to the membership records of your ward. I, on the other hand, only have special access to things like TM.

So it seems logical that there would be tighter requirements on your account. The problem with the MRN/Birthdate is that neither of those items change over time - so a breach of information at anytime leaves your account vulnerable forever.

I'm not sure why SMS doesn't show, but it's possible that in your case the church plans to do two-factor authentication before resetting. Since SMS and two-factor both confirm the same "something you have", a SMS followed by a two-factor would not be an independent verification.

eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

russellhltn wrote:If I'm reading the CDOL correctly, you have a calling that gives your account full access to the membership records of your ward. I, on the other hand, only have special access to things like TM.
I'm an assistant clerk and have access to most everything except the confidential records options on LCR that only the bishop and ward clerk have but I do have the MRN recovery option. I don't have the SMS option but I've never put a cell phone number in so that makes sense.

So it's not just access to MRNs or other membership data that triggers it.

I wonder if it might be disabled on accounts where they have seen evidence of possible unauthorized access or something like that.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Maybe people who have a bank account set up to pay tithing online?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Church Account”