Custom Membership Number Reports

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
jacobleelindsay

Custom Membership Number Reports

Post by jacobleelindsay »

Does anyone know how (if possible) I can get a list of membership numbers for a specified group? YW president asked me for all of the young women membership numbers so they could all log in to something to track their personal progress. EQ president wants all of their members numbers as well for something. Must this be done individually or can I generate a report? I looked all over in both LCR and MLS but didn't have any luck.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Custom Membership Number Reports

Post by russellhltn »

I'm unaware of any such report. And frankly, I think it would be a bad idea. For most accounts, with a MRN, the login and password could easily be reset.

Depending on your state's laws, given that the MRN is connected with a "financial account" (donations), if the list were to be lost or misplaced, it could trigger a legal requirement to publicly disclose a data breach.

I'd suggest either having a clerk "on call" for the event, or arrange to get all the members involved a copy if their IOS.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

You can create a custom report in MLS. However, membership numbers are very sensitive. Personally I would never give a membership number to someone other than the person, parent or spouse. When a group wants to help set up LDS accounts I've always tried to go myself or send another clerk or bishopric member to provide numbers directly as needed. I usually just look them up on my phone. I don't know of any other reason why a group would need membership numbers.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

jacobleelindsay wrote:Does anyone know how (if possible) I can get a list of membership numbers for a specified group? YW president asked me for all of the young women membership numbers so they could all log in to something to track their personal progress. EQ president wants all of their members numbers as well for something. Must this be done individually or can I generate a report? I looked all over in both LCR and MLS but didn't have any luck.
That is by design. Because the MRN is sensitive, we don't make it easy to put on a report.

Some thoughts here:

When you have an activity where you know a bunch of youth may need to set up accounts (typically for FamilySearch access, but Personal Progress is another good one), have a bishopric member or clerk available. When we went to the FamilySearch center a year ago for youth conference, it was easy to grab a member of the bishopric for the handful of youth who hadn't already set up an account. Our young women just did an activity and sent out an email the Sunday before asking parents to make sure the young women had an account. Everyone had one by the time they got to the activity.

For 12-year-old beehives, the process of setting up an account is more complicated because a parent needs to approve the account. If you're at the activity trying to set it up, you are unlikely to be successful. When we had our young women send out reminders about creating accounts for this last activity, we specifically mentioned this issue with the 12 year old girls since they were the ones most likely to not already have an account and would also be the most difficult to create at the activity.
mevans

Post by mevans »

scgallafent wrote:For 12-year-old beehives, the process of setting up an account is more complicated because a parent needs to approve the account. If you're at the activity trying to set it up, you are unlikely to be successful. When we had our young women send out reminders about creating accounts for this last activity, we specifically mentioned this issue with the 12 year old girls since they were the ones most likely to not already have an account and would also be the most difficult to create at the activity.
At what age is the parental requirement dropped? From your comment about 12-year-olds, I'm guessing if you're 13, parental approval is no longer required? (13 seems to be the age on other sites for children to sign up, so maybe that makes sense.)
jacobleelindsay

Post by jacobleelindsay »

Thank you to all who chimed in. Glad I wasn't simply missing it and it makes a lot of sense as to why a report like that wouldn't be available. I'll let the YW and EQ pres know that no such report exists but I'd be happy to get them individually. Incidentally, it was the EQ pres who used to be a clerk in a singles ward who told me I could do it. Hmm.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jacobleelindsay wrote:Incidentally, it was the EQ pres who used to be a clerk in a singles ward who told me I could do it. Hmm.
He probably did it as a custom report from MLS. If it was me and they still pressed for it, I'd want bishop's approval after informing him of the issues.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

mevans wrote:At what age is the parental requirement dropped? From your comment about 12-year-olds, I'm guessing if you're 13, parental approval is no longer required? (13 seems to be the age on other sites for children to sign up, so maybe that makes sense.)
Yes, 13 is the age required by the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act for websites based in the United States.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”