Temple work

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
rushworths

Temple work

Post by rushworths »

Who in the 12 or 70, has the responsibility for adjustments and changes to temple ordinances, ie endowment, film etc ?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Temple work

Post by lajackson »

Everyone at the general authority level with whom I have spoken has told me that temples are strictly the provenance of the First Presidency, and that anything the Twelve do relating to temples is by specific assignment from the Presidency.
rushworths

Post by rushworths »

Well that a non starter then. It's back to lots more fasting and praying for the Temple work bottleneck to open up wider.
With finding family history speeding up at a magnificent rate, missionary work and converts are not keeping up and Temple attendance rate isn't as quick, it would be great if the endowment and film could be shortened significantly like it has in the past along with other necessary change to other ordinances.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I wonder what the duplication rate is these days.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rushworths

Post by rushworths »

Besides the duplications, it also takes 13 years to do a male endowment from the time a name is first submitted to Temple file before the work is done. Unless you do it family file, then it's up to you.
During the millenium maybe the only work done will be clearing up the back log of male Temple endowments.
Last edited by rushworths on Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I spend the majority of my spare time researching, attaching source documents, merging duplicates, and joining families. I can do that anywhere and anytime. I only reserve and print as many family file cards as I can do in one month. Others are welcome to do the temple work I don't have time to do.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

rushworths wrote:Besides the duplications, it also takes 13 years to do a male endowment from the time a name is first submitted to Temple file before the work is done. Unless you do it family file, then it's up to you.
During the millenium maybe the only work done will be clearing up the back log of male Temple endowments.
We can now request release of names reserved by others that have been sitting in limbo for over 2 years. Perhaps one day we can do the same for names that are stuck in the temple file. As we are supposed to seal the parents together before we seal the children to them, the temple file is potentially holding up generations of other work, especially now that more people are doing family names than ever and the temple file names are not being completed as quickly.

And, yes, I have submitted that as feedback on a FamilySearch survey that was sent to me.
rushworths

Post by rushworths »

Tech suggestion.
Swipe card required for proxy work. Scan or swipe/wave the card and the endowment is done, then same for sealing. That would reduce time. All done on a recommend card.
rushworths

Post by rushworths »

....tongue in cheek
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

We had magnetic stripes on our recommend holders back in the late 1970s, but they didn't last long. We swiped in the name issue booth, and then swiped again at the veil to record the completed ordinance. I think there were too many technical issues.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska

Return to “General Discussions”