Installing updated apps on Missionary Samsung device

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
SmithMR

Installing updated apps on Missionary Samsung device

Post by SmithMR »

I'm helping my daughter prepare the Samsung device she was required to purchase for her mission. I've tried downloading some of the more modern tools like Google Inbox so she can use features like emailing to distribution lists in her contacts.

After installing the app, the Google Play store just displays an "Enable" button. Pushing it does nothing and the app does not show up on her installed applications screen.

Are missionaries locked out of installing productivity applications or am I just missing something basic?

thx.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Installing updated apps on Missionary Samsung device

Post by russellhltn »

I'm pretty sure the missionary tablets are locked down.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
SmithMR

Post by SmithMR »

Any ideas on how she can send email to a list of email addresses with the approved applications?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

At one time, I thought the email was GMail with a custom domain. Using the GMail email app, you can put addresses into groups (but they call them "labels"). When you pull up a group in contacts, there's an option to send a email.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
tomcatt

Post by tomcatt »

If you look in the "App Catalog", it should show all of the apps that will be available to your missionary during their mission. There is a decent set of productivity applications to be found there. Getting an app that is not in the app catalog is a long review and approval process where the president of your missionary's mission submits the app to the missionary department, and they (usually) reject the request. Unless the app will hasten the work in an obvious way, it will probably be rejected. Some possible methods for group email communication follow:

1. have your missionary send the email only to you, and then forward it to all interested parties.
2. create a Facebook group and paste the emails there.
3. You could also Export a comma separated list from Google contacts, have your missionary store that somewhere in their device, and paste that into the "to" or "bcc" fields when they send their group email.

Just a few of the many options for communicating with missionaries in the field. Let me know if any of this helps, or of you have any further questions.
-Elder Thomas Parker, Colorado Fort Collins Mission

I'm just a regular missionary. 8-)
I love it when the original post's author never says "it worked!" :P

Return to “General Discussions”