Receipts for expenses

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
drepouille

Receipts for expenses

Post by drepouille »

During the audit, we verify that each expense has an appropriate receipt or other supporting documentation. What do you folks do when your bishop writes a check from the Fast Offering fund to pay the rent or other expense for a family in need, but does not have a receipt for it?
I have found if we give such checks to the family in need, they rarely return a paid receipt to us. That almost forces us to send a runner with the check to the landlord or other payee, and wait for a receipt.
I was very lucky yesterday. I looked up the email address of the property manager, and sent him a request for a receipt. He was nice enough to respond promptly with a receipt in a PDF attachment. I won't depend on such luck in the future, however.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Receipts for expenses

Post by lajackson »

drepouille wrote:What do you folks do when your bishop writes a check from the Fast Offering fund to pay the rent or other expense for a family in need, but does not have a receipt for it?
It is an audit exception. There are two solutions. One, get a receipt. Two, the bishop can write a note explaining why he could not get a receipt and place it in the file. As an exception, the auditor may accept that.. But the bishop should do it very rarely.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

Most of the time we don't get a receipt but we usually do get a copy of the lease. We make a copy to include with the check in the file and keep another copy for future use if that seems likely or possible. As long as the document shows the amount, that the FO recipient is responsible to pay it and who the payment is made to our auditors haven't had a problem with it.

We've trained our Bishop to always have the recipient at least provide that before assistance is given.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

We always make sure we have a receipt or a copy of the lease. We never give the check to the member to turn in - we always try to mail it if we can. If timing prevents that, a bishopric member or clerk hand-delivers it.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote:I have found if we give such checks to the family in need, they rarely return a paid receipt to us.
I like the suggestion put forth in another thread - no paperwork, no assistance "the next time" until it's provided.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

davesudweeks wrote:We always make sure we have a receipt or a copy of the lease.
That works, as well. My preference was always to provide food and other assistance, such as utilities, leaving the recipient able to use family funds to pay the rent. Of course, they always came in when the rent was due, so that was usually a second month plan of action if needed.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Yes, they always wait until they are one day away from eviction before they ask the bishop.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska

Return to “Local Unit Finance”