Correcting a Members Name

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
gfhirschi

Correcting a Members Name

Post by gfhirschi »

I have a situation where a child name on the members list shows up Example :
Hirschi ( with out comma) Glade F. rest of family have a comma after hirschi.

Under Household Members.
All family members are listed First Name - Last Name Except the one I would like
to Correct. That Name is listed Last name first.

Under Family Children.
Same Problem.

I have changed the name in the name record ( Member List )but does
not fix the problem.

Thanks for your help.
Glade Hirschi
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Correcting a Members Name

Post by russellhltn »

There's 4 places that the name is held on the membership record: Full name, Preferred name and Maiden name. One of them must be off. Note that you have to be the clerk to access them all.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
gfhirschi

Post by gfhirschi »

Thanks for your help. The person name seem to be correct except
when I go to member list and look up the person I am having problem
with her name is first name first and all other members of the family
are last name first with a comma after last name. don't see any place
to correct that.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

gfhirschi wrote:don't see any place to correct that.
Unless you're the bishop, ward clerk or membership clerk, you won't.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

gfhirschi wrote:Thanks for your help. The person name seem to be correct except
when I go to member list and look up the person I am having problem
with her name is first name first and all other members of the family
are last name first with a comma after last name. don't see any place
to correct that.
When the record was created, the information was entered incorrectly. The member's entire name was entered in the given name field and the family name isn't recorded in the proper field. Here is what you need to do to fix this:
  • In LCR, go to the member profile for the member you need to fix.
  • Click the pencil at the top right of the member information shown (you are already on the Individual tab).
  • Look at the Member Name field group. You can see that the entire name is listed in the middle ("Given Name(s)") field and the top ("Family Name") field is blank.
  • Enter the family name in the first name field ("Family Name").
  • Remove the family name from the second name field ("Given Name(s)") so that only the first and middle name remain.
  • Click the Save button at the bottom of the page.
You have two records that have this issue. Both are infants, so it looks like it was a misunderstanding on how to properly record the names. To find them both, go to the member list and click the "Age" column header to sort by age so that the youngest members of the ward are at the top of the list.

You also have a record where the family name has been removed from the preferred name, so that member appears in the member list with only their first name. You might as well fix that while you're in there. Sort the member list alphabetically and look in the "M" names to find it.
gfhirschi

Post by gfhirschi »

Thanks for your help. I have had a great learning lesson.
I was able to correct both names with your instruction.
drloughney

Members listed as "Non-Members"

Post by drloughney »

I have a recently married couple that she was also recently baptized, however their individual membership records has their respective spouses as non-members. The name is Martin Baggett and his wife Liz Baggett. Individually each person is in the system as a member, but each person has recorded as their spouse is a non-member. How do I fix this?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Members listed as "Non-Members"

Post by russellhltn »

drloughney wrote:I have a recently married couple that she was also recently baptized, however their individual membership records has their respective spouses as non-members. The name is Martin Baggett and his wife Liz Baggett. Individually each person is in the system as a member, but each person has recorded as their spouse is a non-member. How do I fix this?
I'd call Local Unit Support. I don't think there's a way you can do it from your end without ending up recording a false divorce on their history.

Or, you can use "Special Request" from MLS to ask them. I don't know as LCR has a special request function, but you could send a email with the two MRNs.

Return to “Membership Help”