SSO Steps

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
snievas

SSO Steps

Post by snievas »

Hey everyone,

Very simply, I'm trying to figure out what I'm missing to be able to authenticate with my ident.lds.org credentials, so I can perform API requests to LDS tools endpoint from my application. Am I missing some giant button somewhere that provides these steps for me? What i'm doing now, is logging into lds.org, opening the console, making post directly in there, and copying/pasting the JSON response data in my app, since it doesn't refresh that often. But i'd like to avoid having to do this every time. Any help is absolutely appreciated.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: SSO Steps

Post by russellhltn »

With the exception of FamilySearch partners, use of LDS Account in 3rd party applications is not authorized nor supported.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
thatoneguy

Post by thatoneguy »

Hello! I also develop a website for our stake that we cleared through the Church on conditions that we provide a disclaimer in the footer that says "This website is not sponsored or endorsed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints" and provide an email link to myself for support.

We are getting to the point that it would be really useful to allow stake members to login using ident.lds.org SSO and have our app know of their ward and current calling.

Will the SSO ever be available for use-cases like this?
Thanks in advance.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

thatoneguy wrote:Will the SSO ever be available for use-cases like this?
I doubt it, but you might go back to the department at Church Headquarters that originally approved your site and ask them. This is a user-to-user forum and no one here has that information.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

thatoneguy wrote:Hello! I also develop a website for our stake that we cleared through the Church on conditions that we provide a disclaimer in the footer that says "This website is not sponsored or endorsed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints" and provide an email link to myself for support.

We are getting to the point that it would be really useful to allow stake members to login using ident.lds.org SSO and have our app know of their ward and current calling.

I do not know of any plans to make LDS Account authentication available to non-Church applications.
thatoneguy

Post by thatoneguy »

scgallafent wrote:
thatoneguy wrote:Hello! I also develop a website for our stake that we cleared through the Church on conditions that we provide a disclaimer in the footer that says "This website is not sponsored or endorsed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints" and provide an email link to myself for support.

I do not know of any plans to make LDS Account authentication available to non-Church applications.
That is an understandable bummer. Thank you.
joeneuman

Post by joeneuman »

Any update on SSO for Stake websites?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

joeneuman wrote:Any update on SSO for Stake websites?
Third-party apps don't have access to single sign-on still.

Out of curiosity, what are you putting at the stake website that requires sign-in? (I wouldn't recommend putting any membership or financial information on a stake website.)
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
thatoneguy

Post by thatoneguy »

sbradshaw wrote:
Third-party apps don't have access to single sign-on still.

Out of curiosity, what are you putting at the stake website that requires sign-in? (I wouldn't recommend putting any membership or financial information on a stake website.)
I don't know about @joeneuman, but our stake website doesn't plan to show any of the information from the Church auth system; rather using it to filter what users can see when they are on the stake site, when it pertains to ward-specific information.
For example, we want to allow the wards to share their annoncements on our site via an embedded Google Doc, but want to restrict the announcements being available to just that ward's members.

We also have done some activities in the stake where the site takes user-supplied information that we want to aggregate by ward and knowing which ward a user belongs to via the Church auth would make things really useful for us.
It would also allow us to make that reporting only available to those in the appropriate ward council callings.

Rather than needing to keep our own systems in sync with changing callings, it would be nice to have that provided by SSO using the Church auth system.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

I do not know of any plans to extend SSO beyond Church-provided applications.

Return to “Church Account”