Gospel Library 4.1.0 for iOS

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Gospel Library application.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Gospel Library 4.1.0 for iOS

Post by sbradshaw »

Gospel Library 4.1.0 for iOS has been released on the iOS App Store.

* New annotation menu when you select text.
* Added ability to delete a link without deleting the entire annotation.
* Added book/speaker artwork to iOS Control Center when listening to audio.
* Added setting to prevent catalog updates while on a cellular network.
* Reduced catalog size with better compression.
* Better error catching for some annotation sync errors.
* Improved performance when there are many highlights on the same page.
* Fixed several bugs and crashes.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
daveandsandic

Re: Gospel Library 4.1.0 for iOS

Post by daveandsandic »

My wife uses an older iPad, running iOS 9.3.5 (newer iOS versions won't run on this one). When the Gospel Library app updated the last time it seemed to work okay. Now when you start the program it says it is "updating gospel library" and when it finishes that, the screen goes white with a black bar on the top. Sometimes, if I let it sit long enough, the program actually starts. But if I minimize it or let the screen saver time out, it is back to the white screen and waiting for an extended time to see if it will run again (like 1/2 hour maybe).

I am guessing it has something to do with the older iPad. I thought maybe memory issues, so I deleted a bunch of stuff she doesn't use. It didn't help. I deleted the app, started over. No such luck. I deleted the app, shut down the iPad, restarted the iPad, reinstalled the app. Nothing changed. I've tried about every combination I can think of to get Gospel Library on her iPad running again.

I don't really want to buy another new iPad, but I will if I have to... otherwise I lose mine!

If you have any ideas, let me know.

Thanks

WAIT! For some reason, my most recent delete it all, shut it off, reinstall it all, shut it off, start it up again... seems to be working! Gotta love computers! This time around I deleted the app. Shut down the iPad. Restarted the iPad. Reinstalled the app. Shut down the iPad. Restarted the iPad. Started the app... I think I've tried this one before, but for some reason it didn't take. This time it looks like it has.

I'll let you know if it acts up again.

Dave
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I'm not sure what was happening there, but I'm glad it's working now! Gospel Library 4 supports iOS 9 and up.
mulrich1

Post by mulrich1 »

I really appreciate the work that's gone into making the Gospel Library app great.
I know the most recent update made it possible to highlight and cross-reference any content in the library but I don't see the same functionality with my personal notebook. Am I missing something? It would be helpful to have the same type of annotations (highlight, notes, cross-referencing) available for my personal notes. For example, I may want to highlight or add a note to my patriarchal blessing. Or, I may write a talk in the notes and want to cross-reference a scripture.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Church-produced content is organized, stored, and synced in a completely different way than user-created content. It's possible that user-created notes could be annotatable in the future, but for now there are several technical limitations. See this thread: An enhancement request.
mulrich1

Post by mulrich1 »

sbradshaw wrote:Church-produced content is organized, stored, and synced in a completely different way than user-created content. It's possible that user-created notes could be annotatable in the future, but for now there are several technical limitations. See this thread: An enhancement request.
That makes sense; thanks for replying and sharing the other thread.
EdwinJanMoss

Post by EdwinJanMoss »

Thank you for all your hard work! The app is wonderful! I use it all the time.

Here is my scenario:

I am in the yard, on my run, or in the car. I know that if I push play on my headset I can listen to the Gospel Library, General Conference where I left off. So I push play. It takes a bit longer than usual. Hmmm. Later after listening for a while I pull out my iPhone and surprise! I have been listening to Video downloads. Not what I needed on my data plan. Is there a setting that I am missing to have the default action play just the audio (just like it used to for so many years)?

Also, during continuous play, is there a way to have it skip the full-session play back? Sorry, but I am got accustomed to listening to General Conference, from beginning to end, each talk after the other. While listening I sometimes want to open the talk and mark a segment of the talk or skip a talk.

Again, thanks for all you do!
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

The issue where audio and video get switched in iOS control center is a known bug that's been fixed in the alpha version of the app, and will be out with the next release (Gospel Library 4.2.0 for iOS).

There has been some discussion about skipping full sessions when listening to or downloading audio. It's in the issue tracker for Gospel Library for iOS and Android as a possible enhancement, but hasn't been prioritized yet. Full session audio didn't use to be included in Gospel Library, before Gospel Library 4, so it wasn't an issue until recently (December). Hopefully a good system will be figured out soon.

Return to “iPhone/iPad Gospel Library”