Budget issues

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jholden700

Budget issues

Post by jholden700 »

My ward recently had a fundraiser. We sent all proceeds to Budget:Misc. The money shows up in the budget report but for some reason isn't showing up as available in the budget. How do I get the money to show up so it can be allocated to ym, yw, etc.?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Budget issues

Post by russellhltn »

I suggest you read the training found in The “Other” Category.

Fundraiser money can only be spent on specific events and can't be simply added to the budget. For that reason, they must be kept separate in the Other/Authorized Member Funded Activities area. You can create sub-categories of that and move the funds into there.

Yes, that makes it a little less convenient for the organizations as they'll have two piles of money to keep track of - the "Other" which can only be spent on their annual event, and the budget which covers everything else (as well as a portion of the annual event).
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jholden700

Post by jholden700 »

Thank you for the response. So I just need to cut a check from the budget to the "other section" then?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It would be best to reclassify the donations to other. The issue here isn't the balance so much as tracking the money from donation to expenditure. Having it go through budget complicates things.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Russell is exactly right here. You need to reopen the donation batch in MLS, and change (reclassify) each of those donations from budget to the correct Other:AMFA sub-category. It's a little tedious, but it really helps you (and the auditor) to track those funds more precisely. Budget funds come from the Church to the stakes and wards. Other:AMFA funds come from local fund-raising activities.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
jholden700

Post by jholden700 »

Thank you guys for your guidance.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”