Which account first? Other or budget?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
MattLung

Which account first? Other or budget?

Post by MattLung »

We have a situation where our young men have money in their scout camp other account. This is money left over from last year's scout camp fundraiser. We also have money in our Young Men's budget.

The young men's presidency wants to use funds from the budget first, before using the other account for scout camp this year.

Their argument is that the handbook specifically says that the Young Men's budget is also used for scout activities. I can't find anything in the training, or in the handbook that would not specifically deny this request, though I believe it's not in the spirit of church policy. I think we should exhaust the Scout Camp other account before we dip into the YM budget.

What is the best course of action? Would it be against policy to follow this request. There's a lot of grey in the handbook and the church training materials. This isn't specifically mentioned in any absolute clear manner. I believe the wording leaves this up for interpretation.

Thanks,
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Which account first? Other or budget?

Post by russellhltn »

The problem is, that any funds in the other account can only be spent for that specific purpose. If the other account funds are not going to be used, then at some point, they should be sent to CHQ. (Since refunding probably isn't an option. And they most certainly can't be moved to budget.)

The status of leftover budget funds is a little more flexible and would be local policy. (The budget itself would reset, and the funds rolled into the general funds for the ward. What the bishop and stake president decides is another matter.)

It would seem to me that this is a case of spend it or lose it. If camp expenses fall short of doing that, it's probably better to have leftover budget funds that can be spent on other YM activities then other funds that could only be carried over for next year's camp or lost. One thing to consider, some units only hold a"big" event every other year. If this year is a "small" year, it would be easier to justify carrying funds over to the next year.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

Also keep in mind that the use of Ward funds (including "Other" account funds) is not under the control of the Young Men's Presidency. They can ask to have the funds used any way they wish. However, the final decision for all funds spent by the Ward lies with the Bishop.
MattLung

Post by MattLung »

Those are some interesting points to consider. I was hoping for something more concrete without having involve more leadership.

About sending funds to CHQ. I was told a few years ago that the church stopped making wards send in extra money in the other accounts to CHQ. We often carry over funds from our fundraisers for Young Women and Scout Camp. In the 10 years I've been in the ward, and the 6 years that I've done this calling, it's never come up in an audit, except the first time around that I had this calling. That was probably 9 or so years ago. After that, we were told to hold onto those funds.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

MattLung wrote:About sending funds to CHQ. I was told a few years ago that the church stopped making wards send in extra money in the other accounts to CHQ. We often carry over funds from our fundraisers for Young Women and Scout Camp.
Carrying over "other" from one year to the next for the same activity seems to be accepted practice (at least in some units). I think budget balances at the ward level carry over now.

Overall, I'd say perhaps the threshold for declaring "excess" may have shifted, but the principle is still there. My concern here is that if the scout camp carries over the "other" account untouched from last year to next year with no grand plans to use it next year - that strikes me as "excess" and it's only by the good graces of your leaders and auditors that they're able to keep it.

I'm unaware of any policy that would address what you're looking for. In these types of situations, I would be good to talk to the stake clerk (who is responsible for training ward clerks) on the best course of action.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
MattLung

Post by MattLung »

Thanks for your responses. We have decided that it's not in the spirit of the intent of the "other" account to let it sit there and not be used. The intent by the member was to have carry-over for next year, if it was possible. However, the general consensus (After much talking it out) is that the scout camp money should be used up first for scout camp purposes.

One big factor for me was that people donated into the "other" account for the purpose of that specific group in that specific year. To keep the funds unused goes against that intent.

Thanks again.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”