Calendar detail view for Admins

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
GrasseDD

Calendar detail view for Admins

Post by GrasseDD »

The stake presidency would like to review proposed 2009 calendar submissions. We're asking the stake auxiliaries to submit their proposed events, which I will compile for the presidency.
The admin calendar doesn't have the "View event details" option. (Which I would like to suggest be added!) So, I can't simply print up the details of all the pending requests.

As I see it, my options are:
1- have the auxiliaries submit their proposed calendar items on paper/e-mail/etc., then compile everything for the review, and enter the entire calendar into the website myself afterward.
2- Screen-scrape each event's details from the request window, compile everything for the review, then approve/reject each submission afterward.
3- Temporarily approve everything, print the details from the user calendar, then make changes after the review.

Ideas?

Thanks,
Duane
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

We have used your option 3. In our stake the stake presidency notifies the auxiliaries to get their calendar inputs for the next year into the calendar scheduling coordinator beginning in September. The stake presidency reviews the calendar regularly during their meetings before end October for next year's schedule and they either send a message to the submitter directly with recommended changes or they ask the calendar scheduling coordinator to help coordinate some changes.After that they review the schedule at least twice a month. Deconfliction of events is normally left to the auxiliaries.

We have not had any problems with people complaining about the calendar for the up coming year changing before the year actually begins. They have become accustomed to seeing it be a work in progress. In fact inputs from the membership of the stake directly to the event submitters has been a tremendous benefit. They can do this because of the format of information supplied in the details section of every event. We require all events to have four parts - (1) a general description of the event; (2) a point of contact for the event to include either e-mail address, telephone number, or both; (3) location of the event; (4) resources reserved for the event. The fourth item is only required for events held in the stake center where the building is shared among three wards. If the submittal does not have that information the calendar scheduling coordinator will not enter (approve) the event until he can get it. I guess I should say item (1) is optional if the title says all that needs to be said.

The part we do not do is print the calendar. Each of the stake presidency has their own laptop and they view the calendar real time. Each member of the presidency is in a buisness that either supplies them with a personal laptop or requires them to have their own. During meetings at the stake center they use the wireless CCN to access the calendar.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
GrasseDD

Thanks!

Post by GrasseDD »

I appreciate your response. I think we've decided to go with option #3 as well. It seems pretty sound after reading your success with it. And even better since it allows me to print the calendar details (the laptop system won't fly here!).
Duane
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Before the Presiding Bishopric opened the access to the internet our stake presidency printed the calendar before each meeting in which the calendar was to be discussed. They were so happy to hear they could access the calendar real time and save a few trees. I guess we can add this to the list requested in the Meeting House Internet forum in the thread Meetinghouse Internet - How is it used?.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jdlessley wrote:Before the Presiding Bishopric opened the access to the internet our stake presidency printed the calendar before each meeting in which the calendar was to be discussed. They were so happy to hear they could access the calendar real time and save a few trees. I guess we can add this to the list requested in the Meeting House Internet forum in the thread Meetinghouse Internet - How is it used?.
Posts #2 and #4 in that thread already mention using and updating the LUWS calendar in meetings.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Alan_Brown wrote:Posts #2 and #4 in that thread already mention using and updating the LUWS calendar in meetings.
That is correct. I stated that before they were able to access the calendar real time they had to print the calendar. Since March they have been using real time access.
JD Lessley

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”