Obtaining marriage certificate

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
Daley.r

Obtaining marriage certificate

Post by Daley.r »

I am trying to get a hold of my parent's marriage certificate, my brother's and I are applying for our British passports but we need that as part of our application, how does one go about requesting that paperwork through the church. I know they were married in Denmark, but they did their LDS marriage in Switzerland. I appreciate your assistance very much. Cheers!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Obtaining marriage certificate

Post by russellhltn »

Daley.r wrote:I am trying to get a hold of my parent's marriage certificate
I'm not sure how it works in Europe, but I'd think the certificate you need has to come from the government, not the church.

At least in the US, the church does not issue certificates. The state gives the church leaders the authority to act as a government official as far as performing a marriage. The leaders sign the appropriate state paperwork and the certificate is from the state. Since passports are a government function, I'm sure they're going to want the appropriate legal paperwork.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

You will need to get their marriage certificate from the government in Denmark where they were married according to the government.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
marieinhsv

Post by marieinhsv »

Do you request a temple marriage license copy the same as a regular marriage license? Mine was destroyed and I have been sick about it
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

marieinhsv wrote:Do you request a temple marriage license copy the same as a regular marriage license?
The official record of your marriage comes from the government of the place where you were married. The certificate the temple gives you concerning your sealing is important, but it is not a legal document.

Because it is not the official marriage document, and because the date of your sealing is recorded on your membership record, I do not believe that temples keep copies of the sealing certificate they give you. However, it probably would not hurt to ask the temple where you were sealed if they might be able to help you obtain another copy.

Return to “General Discussions”