Procedure to record baptism that occurred in another ward.

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
joshuajohnwallace

Procedure to record baptism that occurred in another ward.

Post by joshuajohnwallace »

There is a child of record baptism that occurred for a child in my ward while they were in a different ward (a different state even). This happened five months ago but I only became aware of it now. What is the procedure to record a baptism that occurred in a different ward that nobody in my ward was witness to?

Handbook 1, 16.1.10, seems to indicate I should seek out witness from the baptism to confirm the baptism occurred. Is there any level of approval I need from my bishop as well?
eblood66

Re: Procedure to record baptism that occurred in another ward.

Post by eblood66 »

I assume the family moved from the other ward to your ward. If they were just visiting then they should have had a signed baptism record from your bishop before the baptism could take place.

Assuming they moved, you've found the correct instructions. If they have a certificate then that is enough. Otherwise you need written statements from two witnesses. In either case, it's your bishop who needs to inspect the documentation and then authorize you, the clerk, to record the baptism.
joshuajohnwallace

Post by joshuajohnwallace »

eblood66 wrote:I assume the family moved from the other ward to your ward. If they were just visiting then they should have had a signed baptism record from your bishop before the baptism could take place.
I apologize for not specifying this in the original post. They were just visiting the other ward at the time the baptism took place. They were members of our ward during the time the baptism took place at another ward.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

joshuajohnwallace wrote:I apologize for not specifying this in the original post. They were just visiting the other ward at the time the baptism took place. They were members of our ward during the time the baptism took place at another ward.
In that case I wouldn't say the ordinance is invalid. You're just a bit late in completing the process.

Normally in a case like this the bishop should have filled out a Baptism and Confirmation Form (found on LCR under Ordinances > Baptism) and sent that with the family for the baptism. They should have returned with it and given it back to the bishop. If he didn't do that then you should have him fill it out now.

A member of the bishopric in the ward where the baptism took place should have conducted the baptism. Your bishop should contact him and get verification that the baptism took place. He can then instruct you to record the baptism and print the certificate which he can then sign.
xander.rosen

Post by xander.rosen »

Procedure to take baptism in another ward ?
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

xander.rosen wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:43 am Procedure to take baptism in another ward ?
If you're talking about a baptism that has not yet taken place, please talk with the bishops of the ward where the candidate lives and of the ward where the baptism will be performed. The clerks of the ward where the candidate lives can prepare initial paperwork.

For recording a baptism, see handbook section 18.8.3. If the candidate already has a record (as a child of record), only the ward that has the record can record the ordinances on that record.
BrookeMarturello

Post by BrookeMarturello »

Hi, we have had this question in our ward as well.
If a child is to be baptized in another stake, would the procedure be the same? For example, the bishop in the ward of record should fill out the baptismal form and then contact the bishop of the ward where the child is actually being baptized, correct? Then the bishop who conducts the actual baptism signs the form along with the witnesses?

Thank you.
Last edited by BrookeMarturello on Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Reading the Handbook, there's no mention of holding an Baptism in another stake. There is instruction for holding multiple child of record baptisms from various wards at a stake level. Interpret that as you will.

From a "mechanical" standpoint, the paperwork is done in LCR. As such, I doubt if the other ward/stake could do any of the paperwork. I have doubts about being able to create a certificate for someone who is not in the ward. I'm also not sure if LCR would allow a "pre-printed" certificate for the other bishop to sign. Someone with current access to LCR will have to see what can be done.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
BrookeMarturello

Post by BrookeMarturello »

For clarification, regarding my original post… we live in AZ and our entire family on both sides resides in UT. Our son has expressed a desire to be baptized in UT with his extended family. Since the recent Handbook changes on baptism, I have been looking for guidance on this issue.
It seems, from previous comments and conversations on this thread that this is entirely doable and that there is nothing doctrinal that would prevent a child of record baptism to be held in another ward or stake, as long as the process was initiated, and documented correctly and the two bishops were in communication.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

BrookeMarturello, read the post just before your first post by rmrichesjr. He covers it fairly well.

Return to “Membership Help”