How long to sign monthly Unit Financial Statement?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
BrettMiller

How long to sign monthly Unit Financial Statement?

Post by BrettMiller »

I remember being told that there is a specific time period required to review and sign the monthly Unit Financial Report (both clerk and Bishop), but I can't find the reference anywhere. How soon does it need to be signed from the time it becomes available?

Thanks
eblood66

Re: How long to sign monthly Unit Financial Statement?

Post by eblood66 »

The audit instructions just say 'promptly'. So there is a judgement call to be made by the auditor based on guidelines from the stake audit committee and assistant area auditor. Perhaps you've been given a specific time frame from the stake but I'm not aware of any general instructions.

Personally I check for it the first Sunday after about the 5th of the month (by when it's usually been generated) and print it immediately. Generally the bishop has signed it by the 2nd or 3rd Sunday of the month and pretty much always by the end of the month at the latest.
rmdec2004

Post by rmdec2004 »

The new online financial statements now have a date stamp attached when they are reviewed. This allows the Audit to automatically determine whether the statement has been reviewed promptly. One of the wards in our stake came up with an exception when the date of the review clocked just one day over 8 weeks after the end of the month. Therefore, this suggests that the maximum allowable time after the end of the month is 8 weeks.

I would suggest anytime between 1-2 weeks after the release date is reasonable.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

It's possible they changed the timeframe but last year the audit system was flagging any review that was over 45 days past the end of the month as an exception (see this thread: https://tech.churchofjesuschrist.org/fo ... 37#p225237). Unfortunately, the time frame doesn't seem to be documented anywhere so it's hard to know if it's changed or not. But I'd recommend saying within the 45 day time frame just to be safe.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

When I was stake clerk, I regularly reminded my stake president that his signature verified that he had read and reviewed the statement. He always said, "I just trust you to review it for me".
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

drepouille wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:14 pm "I just trust you to review it for me".
My stake president always said the same thing. I told him I appreciated his trust and that I trusted him enough to review the statement to make sure I had not missed anything other than the audit exception he was going to get if he did not review the statement.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”