Audio Splitter for podium

Discussions around meetinghouse sound systems, microphones, assisted listening devices, and translation equipment
rl_albright

Re: Audio Splitter for podium

Post by rl_albright »

It is a TOA mixer/amplifier. Similiar to what the buildings use.

(Fun fact, the sound system amplifiers are always powered on in the building, the button at the pulpit control pedestal just turns off the output to the speakers.)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rl_albright wrote:(Fun fact, the sound system amplifiers are always powered on in the building, the button at the pulpit control pedestal just turns off the output to the speakers.)
Depends on the install. I think the ones I've seen will power up the rack if either the chapel or cultural hall systems are turned on. And I think the prior version of our sound system may have stayed powered up all the time, but the current one does not.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rl_albright

Post by rl_albright »

russellhltn wrote:
rl_albright wrote:(Fun fact, the sound system amplifiers are always powered on in the building, the button at the pulpit control pedestal just turns off the output to the speakers.)
Depends on the install. I think the ones I've seen will power up the rack if either the chapel or cultural hall systems are turned on. And I think the prior version of our sound system may have stayed powered up all the time, but the current one does not.
Okay, I am speaking from MY experience. My stake center has an OLD sound system that the FM group refuses to upgrade anything. (It is the Ivie 884+ Matrix Audio Switcher.) I looked it up, the last operating system compatible with it was Windows 95, (it states it MAY work with Windows 98, but it is untested.... WOW :shock: :shock: :shock: ) In are setup the 3 amplifiers stay powered on 24/7.
danpass

Post by danpass »

russellhltn wrote:
Ours is as russellhltn describes. When someone turns the sound system on or off in either the chapel or cultural hall, a loud mechanical click sound comes from the audio rack.
mevans

Post by mevans »

For the suggestion someone had of using multiple microphone input jacks in the chapel: If you do this, make sure you figure out in advance how these are set up. Sometimes multiple mic jacks are on the same channel. Also, I've seen situations where some jacks are programmed to only let the strongest signal through. I believe this was for noise control...like if someone was walking around with a corded or wireless mic and someone's speaking at the pulpit. The system may shut off the weak signal that comes from moving around, breathing, bumping, etc. until someone starts to speak. I think it was something related to automatic gain control, but I don't remember. I don't think our current system does that, but I believe and older one had some channels that did that.

Return to “Meetinghouse Audio”