Content failed to download

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
iffbiff

Content failed to download

Post by iffbiff »

I updated to the most recent version a few days ago but very little of the contents will actually download. Despite having full bars of LTE the app continuously read "failed to download x, check your internet connection". Any help? It won't even load the Pearl of Great Price...
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Content failed to download

Post by russellhltn »

I believe there's a setting that by default limits download to WiFi only. This is to protect the member's data plan.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jasonhyer

Post by jasonhyer »

iffbiff wrote:I updated to the most recent version a few days ago but very little of the contents will actually download. Despite having full bars of LTE the app continuously read "failed to download x, check your internet connection". Any help? It won't even load the Pearl of Great Price...
I had this problem and the only way I could fix it was to uninstall the app, delete any leftover library files in the Android folder, and then reinstall the app.
Hangman

Post by Hangman »

I too, am having the issue of "failed to download <enter book here>. Check your internet connection & try again".
I am using the Google Nexus 6 so there's no (External) SD card to be had. I do not use my LTE, only wifi. I use wifi in several locations (church is the worst as EVERYONE is on it) without success. The app tends to pick & choose when to work which is frustrating as there are Saturday evenings I am preparing a lesson or talk & it won't download a book or Ensign I need. Sunday morning before church still nothing when I reboot & reconnect to the wifi. Usually Sunday evening or Monday afternoon the app decides to update & download the book or magazine I needed.
I have been having this issue since it's inception & as stated earlier, I have uninstalled & (tried to find) erased all content regarding the old app but to no avail.
Other suggestions?
Thanks.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I wonder if the content server just gets overloaded on Sundays?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

sbradshaw wrote:I wonder if the content server just gets overloaded on Sundays?
And Saturday evening, too, for Hangman? And how about Thursday afternoon for me, as I was trying to prepare to teach Institute?

No, there is something else going on. I can buy delays on a busy Sunday morning, especially on Church WiFi, but not all the other times. It takes me a couple of tries to download anything. The app seems to be too busy doing other things over my data in the background (and without permission) rather than to download stuff in the foreground on WiFi when I request it.

Samsung Galaxy S4, Android 5.0.1, GL 4.0.4.2
kfinlayson7

Post by kfinlayson7 »

I am getting this on my Galaxy S6 Edge. I have tried uninstall and re-installing and I still get the same thing. I checked the settings on the device and I am not forcing it to use wifi only. Something is going on with the latest update to the application.
dustinhawkes

Post by dustinhawkes »

Fresh install on my new LG G6 and right after logging in, I get this same error and can't download any content. Will try removing the app and installing again.
dolankj

Post by dolankj »

Same problem here. I downloaded and installed GL app. It won't download content. Tried again this morning - still get "Failed to download"
Any ideas what the problem is?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

The content server went down Friday, came back up again late in the day, and apparently is down again.

Return to “Android Gospel Library”