Correct format for couples names

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
zaneclark

Correct format for couples names

Post by zaneclark »

I may have asked this on here before but I can't find it.... I prepare the photos for the stake missionary board and I am not sure on the correct format for couples.... Elder and Sister John and Jane Smith or Elder John Smith and Sister Jane Smith, or Elder John and Sister Jane Smith. What do you think?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Correct format for couples names

Post by aebrown »

zaneclark wrote:I may have asked this on here before but I can't find it.... I prepare the photos for the stake missionary board and I am not sure on the correct format for couples.... Elder and Sister John and Jane Smith or Elder John Smith and Sister Jane Smith, or Elder John and Sister Jane Smith. What do you think?
I definitely prefer the second option: Elder John Smith and Sister Jane Smith. Yes, it's the longest option, but it's clear and avoids the awkwardness of "Sister John" in the first option and what seems to be a casual "Elder John" in the third option.

That also matches the way couples are referred to on LDS.org, by the way. First references are always (for example) to "Elder David A. Bednar and Sister Susan Bednar." Subsequent references to the couple could be "Elder and Sister Bednar," but in the context you are asking about, both first names should be included.

Your format may not allow this, but on our ward's missionary board, we end up showing couples with each name on its own line:

Elder John Smith
Sister Jane Smith
Kentucky Louisville Mission

Sister Susan Jones
Germany Berlin Mission

Elder Jason Anderson
Japan Tokyo Mission
zaneclark

Re: Correct format for couples names

Post by zaneclark »

Thank you! I will follow your suggestion...

Return to “General Discussions”