unauthorized user name on my computer

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
JEHM

unauthorized user name on my computer

Post by JEHM »

I have been using the same computer, same user name, same password on my computer for many years. When I go to log on to my LDS account, it used to show my user name in a drop-down menu. Now it shows my username and also another person's user name. No one but me has ever used my computer. Why is there another user name showing? How can I get rid of it permanently?
Joyce McKee
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: unauthorized user name on my computer

Post by russellhltn »

That's a function of your computer browser's auto-fill. That has nothing to do with the lds.org website.

Someone must have used your computer. If you're in a office situation, someone may have used a computer while you were logged into that computer and it got copied back to yours via "roving profiles".

I had a similar situation come up. Apparently I slipped up and forgot to lock my computer after work and someone else sat down and used my computer.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
JEHM

Post by JEHM »

Sorry. No one else uses my computer or has used my computer. It is in my home and no one would break in just to put their name on my LDS site drop down user name. How do I get rid of it permanently?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

JEHM wrote:Sorry. No one else uses my computer or has used my computer. It is in my home and no one would break in just to put their name on my LDS site drop down user name.
There are other ways it could appear on your computer. Most modern browsers have the ability to sync much of the browsing data across computers. For example, I use Chrome and my browsing history from my work computer is synced with my home computer. And if I ever sign in to Chrome on another computer, all that information syncs as well. It's possible something like that has happened to you.
JEHM wrote:How do I get rid of it permanently?
The specific instructions for cleaning up such data from your browser varies. Which browser are you using?
JEHM

Post by JEHM »

Yahoo.com and thank you for replying. I have refreshed Yahoo but it is still there.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

JEHM wrote:Yahoo.com and thank you for replying. I have refreshed Yahoo but it is still there.
yahoo.com is a website, not a browser. A browser would be something like Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Edge, or Internet Explorer. Are you using one of those, or something similar?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It's possible she has a yahoo-branded version of IE.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:It's possible she has a yahoo-branded version of IE.
I doubt it, since Yahoo doesn't support IE anymore.
JEHM

Post by JEHM »

Sorry, I didn't give you the right information. I use Firefox on a Mac. Also, the only thing my computer could sync to would be my phone or my husband's phone or his computer. No Becka91 on my phone, his phone, or his computer. I will just leave her user name on my computer as when I click it, nothing happens. It's an annoyance, but not vital to get rid of her name. Thank you for your time and trouble.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

JEHM wrote:Sorry, I didn't give you the right information. I use Firefox on a Mac.
You can find simple instructions for removing a stored username on Firefox here:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/962690

Return to “Church Account”