Adding non-member to household

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
wrigjef

Adding non-member to household

Post by wrigjef »

We have two unusual circumstances going on right now. A family just moved into our ward and I got the parents records but there are no children. Last week our primary president mentioned that the children don't appear on her roles. further research showed that they have no records. I sent in a request for assistance finding the records but after talking to the primary president again, there is a possibility that they were never blessed and have no record. From what I read it might be impossible to get the on the roles before their potential convert baptism but how do I get the to appear as non-member household members.

The other situation is similar. An active older couple has just gotten legal custody of their grandchildren and want to know what they can do to add them. They are not blessed either.
eblood66

Re: Adding non-member to household

Post by eblood66 »

If the child is 8 years or older there is no way to add them as household members. There is no longer any ability to create non-member records. The only options are 'child of record' which can only be created for someone 7 or younger or full member (baptized).

You can and should, if they aren't there already, add the children to their parents' records in the Family tab but that won't make them show up on roles or in the Directory. But that isn't an option for the grandchildren unless they are actually legally adopted.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Before creating the child of record, read Handbook 1: 13.6.2. There are certain permissions required.
wrigjef wrote:A family just moved into our ward and I got the parents records but there are no children.
Was the family a convert? It appears that when a family joins, the mission creates the records for the ones that are baptized and notes the children on the parent's records, but no Child of Record is created. If the ward doesn't catch that before the child turns 8, that becomes a problem.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

The family was not convert, at least not that I know of. The only option I can see to add to a household is the plus which searches for records. I know we have many part member households with nonmember spouses listed in the household so I believe it should be possible. I just don't know how. I also read something about a form but don't know where to get the form or what to do with it.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

wrigjef wrote:The family was not convert, at least not that I know of. The only option I can see to add to a household is the plus which searches for records. I know we have many part member households with nonmember spouses listed in the household so I believe it should be possible. I just don't know how. I also read something about a form but don't know where to get the form or what to do with it.
Non-member spouses are an exception. The Directory (and maybe LDS Tools but not LCR or any class roles) will automatically include a non-member spouse based on the information in marriage part of the member's record (this can be disabled but only by CHQ). There is no similar way of getting non-member children who don't have records to show up.
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

These children are under 8 and after reading the handbook section mentioned above, I need to go ahead and enter them as members of record. Is there a form that I can have the parents or legal guardians fill out ?
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

wrigjef wrote:These children are under 8 and after reading the handbook section mentioned above, I need to go ahead and enter them as members of record. Is there a form that I can have the parents or legal guardians fill out ?
Yes. In LCR select Membership > Create Record from the menu. Toward the bottom of the screen you should see a "Blank Create Record Form (seven or younger)" link. Click on that link and print the form. Have the parents fill out the form and sign it. The blessing information can be omitted if there was no child blessing done (as it probably the case here).
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

Thank you so much
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

Pardon the follow-up. Can a legal guardian fill out the blanks for the parents or do they have to go back to them to take care of this?
For example in the case of the Grandparents who just got legal custody of the kids, can they sign without going back to the parents?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

wrigjef wrote:Pardon the follow-up. Can a legal guardian fill out the blanks for the parents or do they have to go back to them to take care of this?
For example in the case of the Grandparents who just got legal custody of the kids, can they sign without going back to the parents?
I'd refer you to Handbook 1: 13.6.2, item #4. As far as permission, it looks to me like you'd need the legal parent(s). The paperwork is proof of the permission, so I'm not sure as it would be wise to let the guardians sign it unless they state they're doing it under the direction of the parents.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Membership Help”