Override Entry Errors in LCR

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
rickk

Override Entry Errors in LCR

Post by rickk »

Hello,

I am sorry if this topic has already been discussed, but searching the forum didn't lead me to anything that really looked like it applied...

I have run into a few cases over the years where I needed to make a change to member information when the system thought I couldn't. Examples are activating a temple recommend that isn't assigned to our stake (we had a stake split and the recommends were still assigned to the old stake), activating a temple recommend for a member who recently had their blessings restored but the paperwork is not yet in SLC, etc. In each of these cases, LCR tells me that I cannot activate the recommend, but in reality I should be able to do so. In MLS, there is the option to override these messages and continue (usually reminding me that I need the stake president's approval, which I have) so I can do what needs to be done. However, on LCR it seems that the override function does not exist. It happily tells me that I cannot proceed and gives me no option to override and continue. Currently for these cases, I drop back to MLS to accomplish the task, but given that more and more tasks are being forced to LCR I would like to make sure that the designers realize that there are situations where the data says I shouldn't do something, but because of other information that I know which the system does not, it is appropriate to go ahead with the action. In these cases, there needs to be an option to override the error in LCR and continue. You can throw up big warnings and threaten my salvation if I do something I shouldn't :-), but there needs to be a path to complete the action.

If I have missed this and there is a way to do it, please let me know how and I will thank the designers and then go back to my corner and be quiet... :-)

Thanks,
Rick
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Override Entry Errors in LCR

Post by sbradshaw »

I think the way to resolve these would be to contact the Global Service Center who can change the record for you. I wouldn't be surprised if the stricter constraints are by design (Leader and Clerk Resources is stricter on a lot of things that MLS was). If the Global Service Center gets a lot of requests over and over for the same things, they will likely be able to request a change.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised but what there's been some "abuse" of the override function that prompted removal of the when LCR was written.

I know I've heard President Monson speak about some of the requests for ratification that the First Presidency has received. Some were real facepalm material.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rickk

Post by rickk »

That might work most of the time, but given the limited hours at the GSC, it could cause a problem. For example, if the stake president restored someone's blessings (as directed by the first presidency) on a weekday evening and the member wanted to go to the temple the next morning it couldn't be recorded in time. You don't want this member to have to deal with the questions at the front desk of the temple going back for the very first time, so the recommend needs to be active before they go. Yes we could ask them to wait, but in several cases that I have been involved with, they want to go NOW!

It all come down to trust. We trust the local leaders to administer the gospel and the ordinances, but we don't trust them to properly keep the records? Again, a warning or 2 should prevent the accidental changes, but you are telling me that I am not trusted to properly record things at the local level if the system doesn't (yet) have all of the information that I do...
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

Have you had the Stake President see if he can activate the recommend? LCR also has more instances where only the Stake President or Bishop can do things that could be done by clerks in MLS.
rickk

Post by rickk »

I haven't tried asking the president, but a counselor in the presidency was not able to do so...
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

You're right that it is a question of trust. Sometimes giving people more tools for their calling is warranted and the benefits outweigh the risks – like missionaries using cell phones, Facebook, Skype, and tablets. But that's not always the case – sometimes experience has proven that risks outweigh the benefits, and more caution is warranted. We don't have enough information to evaluate the balance ourselves, but we can assume that those who make decisions about Leader and Clerk Resources have a bigger picture and past experience to help them judge.

That said, it never hurts to send suggestions through the Feedback link on Leader and Clerk Resources.
rickk wrote:I haven't tried asking the president, but a counselor in the presidency was not able to do so...
The bishop, stake president, and clerks typically have more rights than counselors do, because the counselors don't have the same responsibilities for recordkeeping.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
rickk

Post by rickk »

sbradshaw wrote:The bishop, stake president, and clerks typically have more rights than counselors do, because the counselors don't have the same responsibilities for recordkeeping.
Well, I am the stake exec sec and also an asst clerk, so we are down to the clerk and the president that would possibly be able to do it... :-)

I will also try the feedback link.

Thanks,
Rick

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”