Need some help!

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
mbrogers1

Need some help!

Post by mbrogers1 »

I am currently dating an LDS member and I am still learning and have a lot to learn! I know that certain symbols are not allowed in the home. My question is, with Mother's day approaching and not being able to ask her; is the trinity knot discouraged? I know through the years it has had many representations such as the Holy Trinity, unending love, the mother's knot, etc... I was thinking about this as a possible gift for mother's day and placing her and her children's birth stones in the symbol to be used as a charm. I certainly don't want to jeopardize in anyway her beliefs nor do I want to offend her or anyone here. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated as I continue to learn. Thank you in advance!
davesudweeks

Re: Need some help!

Post by davesudweeks »

Dear mbrogers1,

This is my own personal opinion, as a long time member of the LDS church: It is not so much that "certain symbols are not allowed" as that they don't have the same meaning to us. For example, we recognize and appreciate the sacrifice that Christ made in the garden and on the cross, but we do not use the cross in our regular worship. I honor my non-LDS friends who uses crosses in their worship or display them even though I do not. I am certainly not offended by their use.

I think the more important question is the heart of the giver. If you were to explain to her the deep meaning this symbol has to you, I'm sure she will be honored to receive it and respect it just as you do. We strongly believe in "forever families" so a symbol that represents unending love is very compatible with that concept.

I wish you all the best!
mbrogers1

Re: Need some help!

Post by mbrogers1 »

Thank you so much for your response. That does help me out a lot! And, Eternal Family is exactly what I was aiming for.

Return to “General Discussions”