Precise Event Invitations (really? this is not available?)

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
robmerrill

Precise Event Invitations (really? this is not available?)

Post by robmerrill »

I apologize if this has been addressed in the past, but I cannot see it --

I would like two additions to the Ward Calendar that would greatly improve the practical usage of the system:

FEATURE ONE: The ability to invite a certain ward member/group to a specific event:
>> Example: We're having a youth graduation breakfast for those youth who are graduating from high school. I can put this on the WARD calendar or the Young Women calendar, etc., but a few parents are also invited as well as the Elders Quorum Presidency and the Relief Society Presidency (and Bishopric). It would be nice to have a way to precisely and specifically invite these additional members of the ward to this specific event.
>> I would like to be able to add people with a drop-down of ward members AND have the option to invite someone by email address (perhaps if they are not in our ward such as a youth who has a parent not living in our ward (or who is not a member of the church).
>> I would like to have the drop-down menu be able to select by NAME of member or by CALLING of member (such that if the person in the calling changes -- for a recurring event -- that the new person automatically gets this item on their calendar)

FEATURE TWO: Invite a WHOLE organization to a calendar event.
>> Add an event to the Young Women's Calendar, such as "Combined Activity" and then INVITE the "Young Men's Calendar" to the event, since they will both be there.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Precise Event Invitations (really? this is not available?)

Post by sbradshaw »

Online Church tools rarely have a "push" capability, with only a couple of exceptions. For example, the Newsletter tool (now discontinued) required members to visit the site to see updates. Home teaching assignments can't be auto-pushed out to members. There's no notification through Leader and Clerk Resources for a clerk when a new member moves in. All of these have been common requests.

In the case of the calendar, I don't know if the limitation is by policy (to keep members who don't use technology a lot from getting annoyed, or to encourage face-to-face communication), or if the limitation is just because budget is being applied to other areas. To contact the developers, you can send feedback through the Feedback link at the bottom of LDS.org. However, to make sure it gets to product managers who prioritize things, your best bet may be to suggest it through your area leaders, who can pass suggestions along with more weight if they feel the feature would help leaders in your area minister more effectively.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
robmerrill

Re: Precise Event Invitations (really? this is not available?)

Post by robmerrill »

Thanks!

Return to “Calendar”