Patriarchal blessing for inmate at correctional facility

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
trotterj

Patriarchal blessing for inmate at correctional facility

Post by trotterj »

I am the clerk in a correctional facility branch. Can I somehow get a copy of an inmate's patriarchal blessing for him?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Patriarchal blessing for inmate at correctional facility

Post by russellhltn »

trotterj wrote:I am the clerk in a correctional facility branch. Can I somehow get a copy of an inmate's patriarchal blessing for him?
From the procedures I've seen, there's nothing to allow anyone to receive it in behalf of another. You can try calling CHQ and see what they have to say. Or if he has any access to computers, guide him through requesting it on-line.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

[Moderator note: I split this topic out from Linked Historical Data from Church Archives, since it deals with a different issue.]
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:From the procedures I've seen, there's nothing to allow anyone to receive it in behalf of another.
Under these circumstances, and with the permission of the branch president, I think you might be able to order a copy for him. They should be able to mail it directly to him.

You would have to explain that he does not have access to a computer (if that is true), so putting the blessing online would not help him in this instance. Of course, if he does have access to a computer, you could walk him through the online process as russellhltn mentioned if he is still a member. If he has lost his membership through Church discipline, he will not have access to his LDS Account, but you should still be able to request a paper copy for him.
jtjacks

Post by jtjacks »

Did anyone ever get a clear answer on this one? Everything above seems to be opinion and "I think".

We have ward two elderly members who want to get copies of their patriarchal blessings but don't have (won't use) a computer. Seems to me there must be a way for a ward clerk/leader to request a copy - but i can't find it.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

All I can suggest is call CHQ. I'm not seeing any official directives on how to help someone without a computer to get it.

The wiki says "Ecclesiastical Leaders may be asked by a member to help them obtain a copy of a patriarchal blessing. They should first try to help that member set up a LDS Account or LDS Friend Account and follow the directions on the Patriarchal Blessing Request Page. They may also utilize the Ask Us button at the Church History Library or contact 801-240-3500. "
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Main Church Website”