How do you create a membership record for a convert baptism?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
markec

How do you create a membership record for a convert baptism?

Post by markec »

Hello,

I'm the membership clerk in my ward, Highland 35th. We recently had a convert baptism and I would like to know how to create a membership record.

I went to the create a record page and got as far as inputting name, birthday and place of birth. Next it said a duplicate record already exists and it had the same birthday. I tried requesting this record but told does not exist.

Please advise, thanks.

Particulars:
[personal data removed]

I'm new and we don't have many convert baptisms in this part of the kingdom. :-)

Mark Castillo
Last edited by russellhltn on Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed sensitive personal information
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: How do you create a membership record for a convert baptism?

Post by russellhltn »

Membership records for converts are created by the mission, not the ward. I'm not sure why you were not able to request it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kellymab

Post by kellymab »

Double check your ward records because they usually auto populate in their assigned ward after the mission office makes the record. Double check with your missionaries to also make they got the bishops signature and sent the record in to the mission home.

Once you do find the record, double check to see if the concerts contact info has been added. The past few missions I've lived in always left those fields blank. It took us a while to realize the converts were not getting ward emails. :-/ Since the U.K. Is an info opt in country, ask the convert if they would like to make their info available to ward members on the ward directory.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

kellymab wrote::-/ Since the U.K. Is an info opt in country, ask the convert if they would like to make their info available to ward members on the ward directory.
Not quite sure what the relevance the U.K. has to the original post. The Highland 35th is in Utah! :D
markec

Post by markec »

Thank you very much for the help!

It's a pretty awesome story...the convert married a sister who is a member and he took the discussions and was baptized. Very humble spirit and was definately ready for the gospel in his life. Thanks!
thewiz

Post by thewiz »

I'm a brand new ward membership clerk after being stake membership clerk & clerk trainer nearly a decade ago about the time MLS started. TODAY I was informed by the mission president that I am the one who creates the membership record. (Things have changed!) I can't find a menu item in CLR for doing this, although I was told that membership clerk duties can be performed from my home computer. Suggestions?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

thewiz wrote:TODAY I was informed by the mission president that I am the one who creates the membership record. (Things have changed!) I can't find a menu item in CLR for doing this, although I was told that membership clerk duties can be performed from my home computer. Suggestions?
The mission president is most likely in error unless there is a trial program in your area. In my area, southwest U. S., the mission has the only ability to create a convert membership record.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

That certainly isn't the pattern we are used to, but you're not the first to have been told that. It's possible things are changing.

This post says how to do it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

jdlessley wrote:
thewiz wrote:TODAY I was informed by the mission president that I am the one who creates the membership record. (Things have changed!) I can't find a menu item in CLR for doing this, although I was told that membership clerk duties can be performed from my home computer. Suggestions?
The mission president is most likely in error unless there is a trial program in your area. In my area, southwest U. S., the mission has the only ability to create a convert membership record.
My take on this is that the record can be created by either the Mission, or the ward/branch. We recently created a membership record, at ward level, the missionaries were unaware of this option. When they took the papers to their Mission office, no one there batted an eyelid. Information isn’t always being past down the line!
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

jdlessley wrote:
The mission president is correct. There is some trial work going on looking at whether records should continue to be created by the mission or whether that will become the responsibility of the ward clerk.

As noted in the linked post, choose Membership > Create Record on the LCR menu and continue past the warning about the record being created by the mission.

Return to “Membership Help”