LDS TOOLS FEATURE REQUEST - My List - Notes to be editable and synced

Any discussions around the Member Tools App on various mobile and electronic devices
sbjohn

LDS TOOLS FEATURE REQUEST - My List - Notes to be editable and synced

Post by sbjohn »

We LOVE LDS Tools and appreciate all the hard work to keep it working and up-to-date.
My Co-Worker (who depends of me for all things tech) has just been called as a college ward bishop. We have been looking for a great way to make notes about each ward member that really is for his eyes only. We believe the MY LIST section would be a great place to enter this info by creating an "Interview List" adding the members to that list and then being able to open the members info and add notes.

I am sure there are a lot of Bishops that would love this feature. Being as his notes are completely private to his LDS Tools. He has an Ipad and Iphone that he would like to be able to sync them together.

If someone has a better thought on how to do this, we would appreciate any suggestions. Seeing how the ward has a lot of turn over, I thought that LDS Tools would have some way of taking notes, but as of yet haven't found an option.

Thanks Again!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: LDS TOOLS FEATURE REQUEST - My List - Notes to be editable and synced

Post by russellhltn »

You're going to need to find your own way of taking notes. Even if such a suggestion was implemented, there's good chance the new bishop would be halfway though his term before it came out.

The church is very sensitive about the kinds of information it records about it's members. As such, I believe it deliberately decides to avoid recording or allowing free-form fields in any of it's apps. I don't foresee any change in that until the "sea change" in laws that results from the Second Coming.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbjohn

Post by sbjohn »

I agree about the time before we would see such a change. Any suggestions on a way to help him in this manner. I have looked at Notes Plus, but not sure it would be a good fit. Suggestions would be much appreciated!
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

How does he keep track of things now? He just has more things to track than he did before.

If I were a laptop guy, I would create a word processing document and track names there.
If I decided to use my phone, I would use a simple note app and track folks there.

Creating the list of names from LDS Tools is terribly convenient, but once the list is created from any source (I would use the LDS.org website), the actual keeping of private notes is the same.

In my experience, though, I always found I needed more than one big list of members. I had a list of those headed toward the temple, another list of those preparing for missions, a list of folks I wanted to visit, a list of prospective elders, and many other lists a college ward bishop probably will not need or have.

There are as many ways to track information as there are people who track. I would take an efficiency hit if I lost my cell phone, but I still have 3x5 card skills that can run circles around most folks in meetings I attend.

The hard part is coming to know what is important to track. Your new bishop should leave the rest of the tracking to his counselors and clerks.

Return to “Member Tools”