How often would you participate in an online tech talk?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
McDanielCA

How often would you participate in an online tech talk?

Post by McDanielCA »

Thanks to everyone who participated in the online tech talk on August 28th. We'd like to know, how often would you like to see these events occur? Please vote in this poll, on the main page, to let us know what you think.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Probably quite often, but I haven't seen the first one yet, so I don't know for sure. [grin]
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

Let us see the first one first

Post by kennethjorgensen »

lajackson wrote:Probably quite often, but I haven't seen the first one yet, so I don't know for sure. [grin]
Yes I agree, put this one online, available to download, first before we talk too much about the next one. Any idea when it will be on Cassie?
johnshaw

Online Tech Talk

Post by johnshaw »

I would be very interested if we could be included in potential roadmaps for the technology we use. The 'black box' initiatives and their development/deployment. MLS and LUWS updates on revisions, lists of fixes, lists of feature requests and the priority that is involved with implementing them. Community centered development updates (IE we mocked up a 'return and report' type solution, and it was accepted) etc... I saw the beginnings of this in the first one, but I for one would prefer a little more detail.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

It was entirely appropriate that the first online Tech Talk covered a broad range of topics of a more general nature. But I would like to see some more targeted Tech Talks -- we could have an entire TT on just one topic. Some possible topics might be:
  • Community development using the new wiki
  • MLS history, usage, and plans
  • LUWS (particularly when the long-awaited 2.0 is being rolled out)
  • Meetinghouse Internet
  • Documentation, Training, and Support resources
  • etc.

Maybe it would make sense to have a broad TT every 6 months, and specific topics every 2 months.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Alan_Brown wrote:It was entirely appropriate that the first online Tech Talk covered a broad range of topics of a more general nature. But I would like to see some more targeted Tech Talks -- we could have an entire TT on just one topic....Maybe it would make sense to have a broad TT every 6 months, and specific topics every 2 months.
The nice thing about this idea of having targeted topics and then doing them frequently is that the length of each Tech Talk covering a specific topic could be 30 mins tops and get right to the point. For the more broad Tech Talk every 6 months, it could be between 45 mins - 1 hour.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

dkjorgi wrote:Yes I agree, put this one online, available to download, first before we talk too much about the next one. Any idea when it will be on Cassie?
Tom W. informed me that the Audio/Visual Department had it first and then passed it on to the Coorelation Department (the Legal Deparment). After they give the approval, it would be alright to post it to the LDS Tech site. That is hopefully going to happen later this week or the beginning of next week. Just an estimate I heard though...
McDanielCA

Post by McDanielCA »

Although I can't make any promises, I would expect to see it today or tomorrow :)
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

I think tech talks will be good forums to exchange information or get information out. The number and duration discussed in the posts of this thread are good for me. I also think that once they happen the results need to be published and available to all. A video format is fine to get the real feel, but to do a search for later reference may require a text version also.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
garysturn

Post by garysturn »

I think if there could be a Tech Talk by a different department each month or two then a semi annual Tech Talk by Joel that would give good coverage.

I would like to hear from the Family History Department in addition to those others mentioned.
Gary Turner
If you haven't already, please take a moment to review our new
Code of Conduct

Return to “General Discussions”