Child's record move to singles ward, but remains on our ward home teaching

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
mevans

Child's record move to singles ward, but remains on our ward home teaching

Post by mevans »

The High Priest secretary brought this one to my attention. The record of the daughter of one of the high priests is in the singles ward in our stake; however, she still shows up as being home taught by one of the high priest companionships in our ward. If I click on her name, it brings up an error page, but I can still record visits. Whenever her record moved out, the home teaching didn't get cleaned up.

I'm going to submit specifics to the feedback link, but thought I'd mention it here in case anyone has seen this type of behavior.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Child's record move to singles ward, but remains on our ward home teaching

Post by russellhltn »

When did she move out? In the change over from MLS to LCR, we know the new ward can see the history pre-move in. It's not unreasonable to believe that the old ward can still record the HT for some time after the move out. If she moved out in March, it would seem possible to still record the March visit until some time in April.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mevans

Post by mevans »

She moved out a while ago (she's 20 now and probably moved out 2 years ago when she graduated high school). I looked in the move outs report for the past year, and she's not on the list.

The odd thing is that a few months ago when I was reviewing the ward directory, I thought I saw her records in our ward. She happened to come to our ward one Sunday shortly after then and I asked if she moved her records back to the family ward. She said no. I took a look at the ward list that day and didn't see her. I thought maybe I was seeing things, but now I wonder what's going on.

I just looked at the ward directory for the singles ward and I see her there.
kellymab

Post by kellymab »

russellhltn wrote: It's not unreasonable to believe that the old ward can still record the HT for some time after the move out. If she moved out in March, it would seem possible to still record the March visit until some time in April.
I don't know if it's different for HT, but after someone moves out of my ward, I can no longer record VT immediately after the records are moved.

Mevans you might need to check who is recorded in the household in LCR, not the ward directory. We get funny things to happen with the household tab in our YSA ward. My favorite is when you separate a YSA from their family's household, it keeps the previous head of household contact preferences for email and phone. We have had a fair number of emails and phone calls to the wrong person because of this. Luckily parents will usually give us the uptodate information.
Last edited by kellymab on Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
mevans

Post by mevans »

kellymab wrote:Mevans you might need to check who is recorded in the household in LCR, not the ward directory.
I confirmed the daughter is not in our LCR or listed as a household member of the parents. I'm not in the singles ward, so I don't know what her record looks like in that ward.
kellymab wrote:We get funny things to happen with the household tab in our YSA ward. My favorite is when you separate a YSA from their family's household, it keeps the previous head of household contact preferences for email and phone. We have had a fair number of emails and phone calls to the wrong person because of this. Luckily parents will usually give us the uptodate information.
Another interesting thing is the household photo. I'm not totally sure what happens with the photo, as I'm not the clerk who splits and ships out YSA to the YSA ward (we're often times better about sending the records than YSA wards are about requesting them). What I have seen is that when requesting records of an spouse in a divorce situation is that the household picture comes along. I don't know if the household picture stays with both spouses or moves with one of them. Fortunately, I haven't had enough divorce experiences to figure out what happens. I agree that household information may be unpredictable, though.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

mevans wrote:She moved out a while ago (she's 20 now and probably moved out 2 years ago when she graduated high school). I looked in the move outs report for the past year, and she's not on the list.
The HT/VT gets notifications when someone moves out, so that they can clean up the assignments. With it being 2 years ago I'm guessing that there was a bug or somehow that message got missed. At this point I don't know how to get it off your lists without calling GSC. You might try moving her to a different companionship and see if that triggers anything.
mevans

Post by mevans »

jonesrk wrote:
mevans wrote:She moved out a while ago (she's 20 now and probably moved out 2 years ago when she graduated high school). I looked in the move outs report for the past year, and she's not on the list.
The HT/VT gets notifications when someone moves out, so that they can clean up the assignments. With it being 2 years ago I'm guessing that there was a bug or somehow that message got missed. At this point I don't know how to get it off your lists without calling GSC. You might try moving her to a different companionship and see if that triggers anything.
I had no idea that HT/VT get notifications when someone moves out. Who gets notified? The district leader? The presidency? The home or visiting teachers? How are they notified (email? LCR message?)

I also submitted this to LCR feedback. I think I'll wait a few days to see if I hear anything from them before playing around with assignments, etc. Sometimes it's nice to have data in the problem situation so you can investigate.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mevans wrote:
jonesrk wrote:The HT/VT gets notifications when someone moves out, so that they can clean up the assignments. With it being 2 years ago I'm guessing that there was a bug or somehow that message got missed.
I had no idea that HT/VT get notifications when someone moves out. Who gets notified?
The notification that jonesrk is referring to is surely an internal software message, meaning that the HT/VT subsystem is sent a message when a person moves out, and the software is supposed to respond to that message by making appropriate updates. No actual humans would be involved.
mevans

Post by mevans »

aebrown wrote:The notification that jonesrk is referring to is surely an internal software message, meaning that the HT/VT subsystem is sent a message when a person moves out, and the software is supposed to respond to that message by making appropriate updates. No actual humans would be involved.
Thanks for your thoughts...that makes more sense.

It could be an interesting experiment to talk to the clerk in the singles ward and see if I update home teaching visits if it reflects in their ward's system or if I have some kind of phantom record. I don't know what that would prove other than being a curiosity.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

aebrown wrote:
mevans wrote:
jonesrk wrote:The HT/VT gets notifications when someone moves out, so that they can clean up the assignments. With it being 2 years ago I'm guessing that there was a bug or somehow that message got missed.
I had no idea that HT/VT get notifications when someone moves out. Who gets notified?
The notification that jonesrk is referring to is surely an internal software message, meaning that the HT/VT subsystem is sent a message when a person moves out, and the software is supposed to respond to that message by making appropriate updates. No actual humans would be involved.
This is correct. There is no notification that goes to humans, but the computers chat amongst each other.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”