Elder Nelson's 2200 Scripture Challenge

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
cdw3423lds

Elder Nelson's 2200 Scripture Challenge

Post by cdw3423lds »

For those who haven't seen it yet, Elder Nelson gave a challenge to study the 2200 scriptures about Jesus Christ listed in the Topical Guide.

https://www.lds.org/blog/i-studied-more ... d?lang=eng

I wanted to see if I could organize the information in a way to make it easier to study. Being a programmer I wrote some code to parse the 50 something TG entries about Christ and save all of the references in a database. I found 2227, however only 1648 were unique. So I created a table that has a row for each of the unique reference grouped by the topic they came from. I thought I would share that in case anyone else might find it useful.

http://ldsgeo.org/ElderNelsonChallengeOnSteroids.php
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Elder Nelson's 2200 Scripture Challenge

Post by sbradshaw »

Nice! It took a while to load, but it's really handy.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
cdw3423lds

Post by cdw3423lds »

BTW if you look closely at the first column, you will see each reference has 2 different links. The first one opens that chapter with every verse in that chapter from the whole table highlighted. The second one only highlights the verses that are part of that reverence. In both cases it scrolls the page to the first verse in the reference.

It is slow to load. I'm not sure how much of that is the fact it is just a very large page or the database queries. I just added some indexes to the database tables and some other changes that should speed it up a little. But I'm not sure it is much faster.

The odd thing at this point is if there was a little more traffic to that page, the info would be more likely to be in the server memory. Of course if the traffic goes too high it will then slow down :)

Chris W
lefevrej

Post by lefevrej »

Thank you so much for this fabulous resource! You have no idea what a blessing this is to me.
aleydavis

Post by aleydavis »

This is so cool! Thank you so much for sharing this :) You've made my studies so much easier!
tkratzer

Post by tkratzer »

Thank you so much!

The format you created makes it very easy for me to track my progress and to study this topic with my family also.
cdw3423lds

Post by cdw3423lds »

lefevrej, aleydavis, and tkratzer, you're very welcome. I'm glad others find it useful. As a software engineer, I often create things like this for myself. Often I spend more time than I should on it, so it's nice that sometimes I can create something other people find useful.

Chris W
jillcritchfield

Post by jillcritchfield »

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!
meganhillyer

Post by meganhillyer »

Thank you! This is exactly what I've been looking for!
sacrandall

Post by sacrandall »

This is awesome and very user friendly. Thank you very much for taking the time and making it available to everyone.

Return to “General Discussions”