RTMP URL not reachable

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
ThomsonMA

RTMP URL not reachable

Post by ThomsonMA »

This past weekend we had our Stake Conference. We used the portal.ldswebcast.org system to schedule our Saturday Adult session and Sunday General session several weeks ago. We shared the direct access code with our bishops so that shut-in members and missionary couples serving around the world could view the conference. These events were created using the "North Central US" region selection. That's what we've been using since there has not been a West US choice (I realize that there now is one; we're in Utah).

On Saturday evening, about an hour before the meeting we attempted to start the broadcast feed using the RTMP URL and Stream Name from the portal configured into the VidiU. When we attempted to start the broadcast, the VidiU reported that the RTMP URL was not reachable. We double and triple checked that we didn't have any extra spaces or missing characters in the URL. We also found that we could not ping it from our computer either.

We attempted to call the GSC only to find that there was no one on call to answer any questions, much less offer any help. Just a "call back during business hours" recording.

Our only option at that point was to create a new event with a different upload selection (we used West US). That worked, and got us "on the air", but of course that new event had a new event code that we struggled to get to our shut-ins and missionary couples.

We looked to see if we needed to change the upload target for the Sunday session and saw that it was configured for West US, so we thought we would be okay for the Sunday General Session.

Upon arriving Sunday Morning, we saw that somehow the event for our General Session was now showing North Central US again (no idea how that changed overnight). We tried to edit it, but apparently it was too close to the event (just under two hours before the event). Worried that I'd experience the same problem as the night before, I quickly created a new test event, also using "North Central US" to see if that could start up. It did so I was optimistic the General Session would be okay. However, when I did try to start the feed for the general session, I again got an error on the VidiU that the destination URL was unreachable. Again I could not ping it.

So again I quickly set up a new event using West US and that worked fine, but again we had to work to contact our shut-ins and missionaries to give them the new event code.

So my questions are:

1) Why did the system give me RTML URLs that didn't work?
2) Why was there no one on duty at GSC to respond when I called for help?

Aside from that the system worked very well and we really appreciate the statistics and feedback from receiving locations that the system provides us.

Thanks!
rannthal
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: RTMP URL not reachable

Post by rannthal »

There was a bug in the system that dealt with regions and modifying the event. It has since been corrected.

We are sorry for the trouble it caused.

The work around was exactly what you did. You did the right thing!!

No idea on why or where the GSC was.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: RTMP URL not reachable

Post by russellhltn »

ThomsonMA wrote:Why was there no one on duty at GSC to respond when I called for help?
According to the Help Center, that part of GSC is closed between 6 PM Saturday and 6 AM Sunday, Mountain time. That could explain why you couldn't get anyone for the Saturday session.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”