Updating 3 Year Old Miscategorized Donation

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jakenielson

Updating 3 Year Old Miscategorized Donation

Post by jakenielson »

In Nov of 2015 someone created a category under Other:Authorized Member Activities called Refugee Assistance and assigned $10 from a donation that should have gone to the Humanitarian Aid account. Since then that $10 has sat in the Other account untouched.

I tried transferring the funds to the Humanitarian account but the funds transfer function doesn't allow transfers outside the parent account (in this case "Other"). Then I tried updating the donation itself but since it's 2 years old all the fields were greyed out and not clickable.

I was about to create an expense and cut a check out of that account that I would then re-donate and put in the humanitarian account but before doing that I wanted to check with this forum to ask two things:

1. Is there a way to electronically transfer that money without cutting a check?
2. If I need to cut a check, how would I properly record that to avoid a ding on our next audit?

Thanks in advance for your help!!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Updating 3 Year Old Miscategorized Donation

Post by russellhltn »

Given the age, you may need to call Local Unit Support to get this fixed.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

jakenielson wrote: 1. Is there a way to electronically transfer that money without cutting a check?
Possibly by contacting Local Unit Support but not otherwise as far as I know.
jakenielson wrote: 2. If I need to cut a check, how would I properly record that to avoid a ding on our next audit?
That's what I'd do. I'd right a note describing the reason for the check (including the original batch date) and have the bishop sign it. Especially since the check is from the ward and to the ward, I don't think any auditor would have a problem with that.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Not that it may matter at this point, but re-categorizing the donation corrects the tax status of the original donation. Transferring does not.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jakenielson

Post by jakenielson »

Thanks for the responses!

Return to “Local Unit Finance”