Who decides Fast Sunday change?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
zaneclark

Who decides Fast Sunday change?

Post by zaneclark »

With General Conference on the first Sunday, either the Mar 26 or Apr 9 will be Fast Sunday. Who decides? I have checked the Handbook, and can't find the answer.
Our ward has chosen April for several reasons, but the stake has chosen March.
mfmohlma

Re: Who decides Fast Sunday change?

Post by mfmohlma »

The stake president chooses. (Obtuse reference but the only one I can find: Handbook 2, 13.6.11 regarding New Year's Eve falling on a Saturday: "The stake president schedules an alternate Sunday for observing fast day.")
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Lacking a better reference, I'd suggest that if the stake has made the decision, then the wards should follow it unless there's a reason to do otherwise. (Perhaps a ward conference on the selected date.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

From my time in the stake presidency, I can tell you it's like herding cats trying to get all the units in the stake to fast on the same Sunday.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

Our Stake Presidency makes this decision and the wards comply. This way everyone knows where they stand. They schedule ward conferences appropriately, so we all can follow the same page!
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Our stake presidency makes the decision when the annual calendar is prepared during the last quarter of the prior year. That way every ward and branch knows exactly what will be happening when.

It's not like General Conference is a surprise popup calendar item. The dates for the conference are known years in advance.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:It's not like General Conference is a surprise popup calendar item. The dates for the conference are known years in advance.
Usually. <grin>
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
carrethi

Post by carrethi »

The more recent instructions are very clear (HB 38.8.16)
"Sometimes Churchwide or local meetings are held on the first Sabbath of the month. When this occurs, the stake presidency determines an alternative Sabbath for fast day."

Return to “General Discussions”