Prospective Elders showing up on HP lists?

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
cboshdave

Prospective Elders showing up on HP lists?

Post by cboshdave »

We have Prospective Elders showing up on HP lists. Seems like they should show on the Elder's lists (attendance rolls, etc). This will throw off counts when HP are counting attendance. For example, there are 33 HP's but they could have 35 attending if they count prospective elders who may attend with the HP. I realize we can figure that out, but why are they showing up on that roll? Doesn't seem like they should?

We also have one of our HP who is on a mission that is still showing up on the roll. Should they be showing up?? I thought missionaries don't count while they are out?
Biggles

Re: Prospective Elders showing up on HP lists?

Post by Biggles »

Historically Prospective Elders have always appeared on the HP list. Perhaps someone else will chime in with how this came about.
cboshdave

Post by cboshdave »

I guess if we want to keep Prospective Elders on the forefront of our minds, maybe we should have them on both lists at a minimum. But just seeing them on the HP lists does not really make sense to me.
wwoodford

Post by wwoodford »

A letter from the First Presidency was sent out over 10 years ago that assigned the primary responsibility for prospective elders to the ward High Priest group. Individual prospective elders can and should be assigned to the Elders Quorum if they can best be served by the members of the Elders Quorum

William Woodford
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Handbook 2: 7.6.1 says it can go either way based on individual circumstances.

But software doesn't work that way. For whatever reason, the "business rules" given by the Priesthood to the developers was for PE to be assigned to HP by default.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

cboshdave wrote:We also have one of our HP who is on a mission that is still showing up on the roll. Should they be showing up?? I thought missionaries don't count while they are out?
Missionaries are not counted for sacrament meeting attendance but they are counted as attending for Priesthood or Relief Society just like anyone else who holds a calling that prevents them from attending their otherwise assigned meeting.
ARTEST4ECHO

Post by ARTEST4ECHO »

I realize I'm coming to this 4 monthsr past the last time someone commented, but as a new clerk the issue of prospective Elders in HP came up for me. After several months of looking for the answer, I found the letter being referred to.

http://www.ldschurchnewsarchive.com/art ... lders.html

For those like me looking at past questions for answers, I thought it would be good to go ahead and add the page.

Return to “Main Church Website”