Setting Up the VidiU

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Setting Up the VidiU

Post by lajackson »

Last evening I began training a new STS who will have the primary responsibility of originating the stake conference webcast. I gave him my checklist, which includes the instructions on how to Configure VidiU Broadcast Settings, printed directly from the Help section under Webcasting. I had printed out a new set of instructions (17 January 2017).

He was not able to configure the VidiU. Under Broadcast settings, once he completed the Platform inputs, the interface would not allow him to return to the Quality section. In addition, the interface display ran off the bottom of the page, and there was no way to scroll down to complete the bottom of the section.

I told him to continue on as best he could and that I would access the interface with my laptop if the broadcast did not work. Fortunately, he was editing a previous Profile from the last stake conference and the settings did not need to be changed, so the test actually worked.

He was not able to access the list of Profiles through the interface. And he was not able to start and stop the Encoder through the interface. He had to use the button on the box.

This was all good training, but very frustrating for him, as the new person, and for me, who called up the interface later and was able to exercise full control as in the past. He never could.

However, the Interface page that shows the outgoing stream did not work for me, but it worked just fine for him.

I suspect the differences had something to do with the different laptops. Where do we go from here? He has the newer more powerful laptop, by the way.
rannthal
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: Setting Up the VidiU

Post by rannthal »

What browser was used? Was a different browser tried? Was he on WiFi? Did you try a refresh of the GUI?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:In addition, the interface display ran off the bottom of the page, and there was no way to scroll down to complete the bottom of the section.
Was he trying to configure this using a mobile device or small screen?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:Was he trying to configure this using a mobile device or small screen?
He is an Android guy. No mobile for him (or me). He was using a 13" laptop.
rannthal wrote:What browser was used? Was a different browser tried? Was he on WiFi? Did you try a refresh of the GUI?
He started with Chrome. He switched to Firefox. He was hardwired to the Church network. He closed the page and hit the IP again several times with each browser. Everything was consistent (but not complete) for him whether Chrome or Firefox.

I used Firefox on the building WiFi (we did not shut it off for the test -- no one else was in the buildling). I had no problem. We made certain that neither one of us was connected to the VidiU interface at the same time.

(As an aside, I have never been able to establish a WiFi connection directly with the VidiU using the VidiU WiFi, if that's what you were asking.)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:He is an Android guy. No mobile for him (or me). He was using a 13" laptop.
That still sounds pretty small. I've got a little netbook. Works fine most of the time, but every now and then I'll hit a screen designed for a normal sized (or should I say normal resolution) screen and I can't scroll down to hit a button on the bottom. The window is x pixels high and my screen is only 2/3 of x.

I'm not sure if the VidiU setup screen has that limitation or not.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:
lajackson wrote:He was using a 13" laptop.
That still sounds pretty small.
Mine is a 15". Maybe he was just missing the very bottom line to get to the Quality section. We were hoping the Platform section would shrink so he could select the quality section. But it did not shrink when leaving the page and returning, and he could not make it shrink, either.

That's why we test.
rannthal
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by rannthal »

Since the VidiU is a third party piece of equipment, I can only suggest from experience.

When ever I have trouble with the GUI, I turn the VidiU off for a few seconds and then back on, wait till it is fully booted up and then hit the GUI. That clears things up for me.

If the VidiU has been on for a long period of time, the thing can get very hot. I have had one in fact melt the casing on it. This doesn't happen for all of them, it just seems like certain batches. We have plans to talk to Teradek about this.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

rannthal wrote:Since the VidiU is a third party piece of equipment, I can only suggest from experience.
I so hate to turn it off when it is booted up and running. It takes so long to get there. But we will keep that in mind as a last resort. Do you have any idea if their interface just doesn't know how to play with a smaller display? I would think the browser should trigger a scroll bar on the side, but you never know if there is something in the VidiU software hindering that.

From our experience, the VidiU feels warm after an hour and a half, but never hot. We have it in an open area where there is plenty of circulation, so that may be helping us.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”