Alternate installation feature.

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
eastons

Alternate installation feature.

Post by eastons »

I saw a dialog about primary and alternate installation when doing a fresh install of MLS. I've been looking around and haven't seen any up to date information on this feature. Can someone point me in the direction of documentation on this as we have two ward PCs in our clerks office and I would love to dedicate one to membership and one to finance.
eblood66

Re: Alternate installation feature.

Post by eblood66 »

You can only have MLS installed on one computer for a given unit. The is no support for using multiple MLS installations for one unit. You can install a test install on another computer but it only has access to made-up test data.

But note that with the release of LCR 4.0 (which you may already have access to or will have very soon) there is very little on the membership side that can't be done online from any computer.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'm not sure how you ended up with two, but by policy, MLS can't be run on donated computers.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:I'm not sure how you ended up with two, but by policy, MLS can't be run on donated computers.
It sounds as if they have two wards sharing one clerk's office, and they have two administrative computers. Rather than having one ward on each computer, they were interested in having one computer do the membership side of MLS and the other computer do the finance side of MLS for both wards.

As was previously mentioned, there can only be one version of MLS running for a ward. But they should pay attention to the clever suggestion that one ward could be doing finances while another ward is using the other computer to directly access LCR and accomplish membership activities there. My only concern is that the financial activities of one ward are highly confidential and it probably would not do for another ward to be in the office during the preparation of a donation deposit.

And besides, I haven't seen a clerk's office big enough for two wards to function in simultaneously, but if they are blessed with more real estate and have the option, I say take advantage of it while it lasts.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

lajackson wrote:And besides, I haven't seen a clerk's office big enough for two wards to function in simultaneously, but if they are blessed with more real estate and have the option, I say take advantage of it while it lasts.
My old ward had one. There was one larger clerk's office between two bishop's office with separate desks alone each side of the office for each ward. The building was an older one though. I haven't seen a newer building with that kind of layout.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

For student wards that meet in BYU buildings, wards often share clerks' offices. My current stake has 2–3 wards in each office. In my previous stake, all 12 wards plus the stake clerk were in the same room. It was very helpful for training and getting help when questions arose, to have several clerks gathered together.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

On the other hand, I've had a ward end up with two computers - FM delivered a replacement machine to the wrong ward. What didn't help, is they failed to communicate that the computer was delivered. So several weeks went by before the error was discovered and the right ward got a replacement for their 5-year old computer.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eastons

Post by eastons »

Thanks for all the information. We are very lucky as we have a stake size building for a single ward. Because of the lack of documentation on that feature during installation and the advice of everyone we have MLS installed on a single computer and use LDS.org for membership work on the other.

Thanks

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”